Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
compost pellets

Posted by hoyess z5 ON Can (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 10, 08 at 19:32

I was at a landscaping trade show today and was intrigued by a couple of companies selling compost pellets. This stuff is plant based, no manures or animal products, so would not have any nitrogen value but does it work to 1) amend the soil with humus and 2) provide good micro organisms. I have a two acre property with 1 acre of lawn and many large beds so although I compost I can't create enough compost myself for my gardens and you can't get bulk delivery of compost in our area. I was intrigued with the ability to put this stuff down on my lawn by broadcast spreader. Has anyone tried this stuff? Does it work. I'm thinking of doing this along with converting to an organic turf care program by the same company.

Thanks

Sharon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: compost pellets

Compost is mostly used to restore the bacterial balance of the soil and isn't really (as you noted) a food.

Once, if you have noticeable issues, sure. I'm guessing the pelletized is more expensive than the raw stuff, but the convenience could easily offset that for you.

I never bothered. Other people use compost once a year or more. We all seem to get good results.

General feeding, though, if you can get your hands on feed grains from a local mill, they're a lot cheaper than any company's organic offerings. They're also not difficult to handle with a broadcast spreader.

I pay $8 per 40 lb bag of Milorganite, or $9 for a 50 lb bag of soybean meal, or $4 for 50 lbs of cornmeal (this is corn country--cracked corn is even less). In American dollars.

Most "specialty" foods are a lot more expensive and don't do a better job. If the prices are competitive, by all means, do it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here