Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
apundt_tx

when does forsythia bloom in central texas

apundt-tx
11 years ago

Starting to become spring like here in central Texas now and we are not even past 3/4 way through January. Any idea when the forsythia usually bloom around here so I can drop my pre-emergent.

Comments (14)

• texas_weed
    11 years ago

Will not be long from now. late February.

• apundt-tx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks texasweed. The reason for asking is that it looks like my bermuda is starting to wake up early. Kinda strange as I don't see it showing green blades until mid March usually. I haven't been watering at all. Last fertilizer was start of September. I'll just have to keep an eye on it.

• texas_weed
    11 years ago

Did i tstay green during the latest cold snap? Not living in TX anymore but I know from talking to my kids back home it has been up and down a lot lately with a pretty good cold snap last week. Did it make that far south.

Even with that said, no real harm in putting down pre-emergence now for insurance. Just means you will have to make an extra application later.

What did you have in mind using?

• apundt-tx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It was like straw colored (dormant)the last couple of months until I notice some green peeking though yesterday. I have some dimension left over from the fall application. Used only half the bag last time and was hoping to use the other half this valentine's day. It's the 0-0-7 stuff from J.D. Landscapes. I used the high spread rating as I had alot of poa and henbit from the drought the year before.

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

NOW! We don't really have forsythia so that makes it harder. I use a cherry tree down the street to time 'spring,' but this year the tree has not even lost its leaves yet. I have weeds and growing already. I applied corn gluten meal as a preem 3 weeks ago.

Rather than relying on plants blooming, I am starting to go by general temperature and by the first major spring rainstorm. All of Texas south of DFW has had that rain and winter never really got here. We had a couple of cold fronts just like we expect in October, but never got them in October. I think spring is here.

Would you mind going to your member page and putting in your location so it shows up on your posts? Saying Central Texas narrows it down but not much. The people in Odessa think they live in Central Texas as do the folks in Austin and even Brenham. Soil and weather conditions vary wildly across Central Texas, so it really helps if you are more specific.

• apundt-tx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

done.

• apundt-tx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

test

• apundt-tx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

test

• apundt-tx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Guess I have to manually enter it each time I make a comment?

• texas_weed
    11 years ago

I see Austin now.

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

In San Antonio I'm seeing growing grass, ladybugs, flies, weeds, and birds. Further south I am seeing geckos, scorpions, tarantulas, and some spring blooming flowers. No wild flowers yet.

• apundt-tx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

right now there is a prediction for .5 inch of rain on Feb 9th. Will try to hit it around that time

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

Bwahahahahaha. Are you new to the area??? They can't predict rain 2 hours in advance with any reliability. I've seen it rain hard in Dripping Springs, move north eastward, and stop altogether when it gets to Austin. You cannot plan your gardening based on what might happen with respect to rain. Just be ready for when it comes.

• apundt-tx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have been here long enough to know better than using the local forecasters. My tarot cards, dice,chicken bones, and tea leaves give a better accuracy.