Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when does forsythia bloom in central texas

Posted by apundt-tx (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 22:13

Starting to become spring like here in central Texas now and we are not even past 3/4 way through January. Any idea when the forsythia usually bloom around here so I can drop my pre-emergent.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when does forsythia bloom in central texas

Will not be long from now. late February.

o

Thanks texasweed. The reason for asking is that it looks like my bermuda is starting to wake up early. Kinda strange as I don't see it showing green blades until mid March usually. I haven't been watering at all. Last fertilizer was start of September. I'll just have to keep an eye on it.

o

Did i tstay green during the latest cold snap? Not living in TX anymore but I know from talking to my kids back home it has been up and down a lot lately with a pretty good cold snap last week. Did it make that far south.

Even with that said, no real harm in putting down pre-emergence now for insurance. Just means you will have to make an extra application later.

What did you have in mind using?

o

It was like straw colored (dormant)the last couple of months until I notice some green peeking though yesterday. I have some dimension left over from the fall application. Used only half the bag last time and was hoping to use the other half this valentine's day. It's the 0-0-7 stuff from J.D. Landscapes. I used the high spread rating as I had alot of poa and henbit from the drought the year before.

o

NOW! We don't really have forsythia so that makes it harder. I use a cherry tree down the street to time 'spring,' but this year the tree has not even lost its leaves yet. I have weeds and growing already. I applied corn gluten meal as a preem 3 weeks ago.

Rather than relying on plants blooming, I am starting to go by general temperature and by the first major spring rainstorm. All of Texas south of DFW has had that rain and winter never really got here. We had a couple of cold fronts just like we expect in October, but never got them in October. I think spring is here.

Would you mind going to your member page and putting in your location so it shows up on your posts? Saying Central Texas narrows it down but not much. The people in Odessa think they live in Central Texas as do the folks in Austin and even Brenham. Soil and weather conditions vary wildly across Central Texas, so it really helps if you are more specific.

o

done.

o

test

o

test

o

Guess I have to manually enter it each time I make a comment?

o

I see Austin now.

o

In San Antonio I'm seeing growing grass, ladybugs, flies, weeds, and birds. Further south I am seeing geckos, scorpions, tarantulas, and some spring blooming flowers. No wild flowers yet.

o

right now there is a prediction for .5 inch of rain on Feb 9th. Will try to hit it around that time

o

Bwahahahahaha. Are you new to the area??? They can't predict rain 2 hours in advance with any reliability. I've seen it rain hard in Dripping Springs, move north eastward, and stop altogether when it gets to Austin. You cannot plan your gardening based on what might happen with respect to rain. Just be ready for when it comes.

o

I have been here long enough to know better than using the local forecasters. My tarot cards, dice,chicken bones, and tea leaves give a better accuracy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here