Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acclu97

Flooded grass - Fungus? - Pictures Included

acclu97
11 years ago

Hello Everyone! Long time reader and first time poster.

Recently while repairing an old well/sprinkler pump I managed to significantly flood my lawn in the area multiple times. Now, 3-4 weeks later it seems that the affected grass has started to die off. The grass in the area is relatively new as I had laid new sod about 16 weeks ago - the sod had taken nicely and was firmly rooted before this happened.

Im trying to figure out what is going on and what I should do about it? The one hypothesis I came up with is that the large amounts of moisture introduced a fungus to the nearby grass - maybe TARR.
If this is the case, it seems my best option would be to top dress the area with peat moss? What do you guys think? I have also included some pics.

FYI - I live in south florida and am dealing with st.augustine grass - palmetto

Comments (11)

• acclu97
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Grass After - Photo 1 and 2 (night pic)

• acclu97
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Grass After - Photo 1 and 2 (night pic)

• lou_spicewood_tx
    11 years ago

What's the winter like? Maybe it's not warm enough for it to grow?

Trying spreading 1/4" layer of compost followed by cornmeal that you can get at animal feed store at the rate of 20 lbs per 1000 sqft.

I've had Palmetto before. It apparently is susceptible to SADV. Good thing that I had Floratam and Sapphire to fill in huge area.

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

Can you post a picture taken when the sun is up like the first one. I'm having a hard time seeing what you have. I see brown but not sure what it is.

Normally flooding grass for 4 continual days or longer will change the soil biology. If it does not stay flooded continually, then the problem would be different. Do you have an easily drained sand soil?

You can post multiple photos in one post. Search "posting pictures" and learn how.

• acclu97
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lou: the winters aren't too cold at all - it is not uncommon to see thick, green yards of st. Augustine grass all throughout the winter down here.

Dchall: I added some more pics taken during the day below - I also included pics of what the healthy grass in my lawn looks like for comparison

Today I raked the area real well to get all of the dead grass out...

• acclu97
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Flooded Area - Day Pic

This post was edited by acclu97 on Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 11:09

• acclu97
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Day Pic -Flooded Grass

• acclu97
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good Grass

• acclu97
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good Grass - larger pic

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

Although it is still not the best pic it does seem to be a disease. I would do what Lou suggested above. Little bit of compost and ordinary corn meal at 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet. Repeat the corn meal in 3 weeks. If it does not look like it is recovering at 4 weeks, then consider a chemical fungicide. Or you can do a chemical fungicide now. If you do it now, then I would do the compost in 3 weeks - after you see signs of recovery.

Is there any chance the swimming pool water got mixed in with your flood water?

• acclu97
    Original Author
    11 years ago

nope, no swimming pool water, only well water. Going to give the corn meal a shot this weekend - ill keep everyone posted