Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessmell_gw

Clearing fallen tall grass

jessmell
10 years ago

My husband and I moved into a rental property in Germany last year. At the time the lawn was green and growing already about a foot high. We are completely new at lawn care and know nothing about gardening and figured this was normal and was just the type of grass it was a left it to do its thing. At its peak it reached maybe three feet. Like I said, I don't know much about grasses and assumed it was just what this type of grass did. Now however the grass has fallen and died and I'm starting to think maybe we were just ignorant when it came to taking care of our lawn. Some new growth is starting to emerge as well as weeds, but I'm afraid that the fallen grass is going to ruin whatever is trying to grow.

My husband has talked about ripping everything up and reseeding. It's what we did to what was our weed patch out front and it worked out nicely. However I'm not so sure this is the solution. Especially if this is just part of the lawns natural cycle. I have no idea what type of grass it is so I don't know what to expect. Because it is a rental property and we only have another year here, I don't want to invest too much money or time, but I feel something needs to be done. Is it just something that will spring back on its own? Should we clear the fallen grass and weeds to make way for new growth? Is our lawn ruined and we need to start from scratch?

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Comments (2)