Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New sod at brink of death, need help.

Posted by dangerousstart Florida (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 8:43

I just built a house.
It came with a freshly sodded lawn and they had the sprinkler system set to daily watering at 2am. I kept it there waiting to see it turn from some yellow to mostly green with roots attached. It hadn't happened after 3 weeks, so I added in another watering at 7:30am. After a week of no change I did a manual run just to find out that MY SPRINKLER SYSTEM WASN'T WORKING.

I'm talking to the builder now and they will fix the sprinkler, but the lawn isn't covered under warranty. (which I understand, I should've checked it to begin with but that's my own fault)

I've scoured all over trying to find out what I can do now and the only response on any post is "how have you been watering it?" and "here's how to check it"

My question is simple:

My new lawn has not had enough water for about a month and is more yellow than green, what can I do now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New sod at brink of death, need help.

Give it a good soaking and hope it comes back. What kind of grass? Saint Augustine?

o
RE: New sod at brink of death, need help.

Most Nurseries and fertilizer dealers have a good granular Potassium fertilizer, such as 0-0-22 with minors. I would ask around for that, or something similar. The potassium improves cell turgor, which will help the lawn recover faster by retaining more of the water you put down. The minor nutrients, such as iron, will also help with the color.

The question that comes to mind for me, is which part of the State are you in? If you've had cooler temperatures lately, that can stunt St. Augustine enough to discolor it. Lack of water shows up initially with wilting, rather than discoloration. This is easy to see in St. Augustine, because the leaves will fold up tightly right at the mid-rib, as the grass tries to increase the transpirational pull on the roots. If it didn't do this prior to losing color, then it's either reacting to winter temperatures, or there is a nutrient deficiency. Either way, a good potassium fertilizer with minor nutrients will help your cause.

One last note, make sure not to use fertilizer blends that include weed killers. St. Augustine is very sensitive to a group of herbicides, phenoxy acids, that are frequently found in weed and feed products. Look for active ingredients like 2-4-d or mecoprop (mcp) and avoid these.

Here is a link that might be useful: Serenity Lawn Service

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here