Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me with grass color matching

Posted by adam34996 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 10:53

I did some patching last fall that came in lighter then the rest of my grass. I am not positive but I think I have Kentucky blue grass because it matches the color I looked up - I live in northeast Ohio zone 6.

I will be doing some overseeding/patching this spring and fall and I wanted to know what to look for when I buy seed. Do I need to buy a KBG mix? If not, what other types of grass is darker in color and will match.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me with grass color matching

Pic of my lawn

o
RE: Help me with grass color matching

Nice looking yard.

If you have Kentucky bluegrass you should never have to reseed. Why? Because KBG is one of the 'sod forming' grasses which spreads out to fill thin spots. The other kind of grass is bunch grasses. Those grow in tufts that sit there, more or less. They expand, but they don't spread nearly like sod forming grasses do.

If you do have thin spots, then you likely have one of the varieties of fescue. Those should be reseeded in the fall, not spring. You can do it in the spring but there are problems with crabgrass and with the new grass dying from heat stress in the summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here