Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Timing of next pre-emergent application.

Posted by syano GA (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 4, 09 at 11:31

I live in Atlanta, GA and have a Bermuda Tifway419 lawn. I last treated the lawn on November 15, 2008 using Lesco 0-0-7 Dimension pre-emergent. I havent done anything since then.

My question is:

I want to hit the timing right on the next pre-emergent application and was wondering when I should apply the next treatment and will Lesco 0-0-7 Dimension pre-emergent be a good enough product to use?

I was debating splitting the next treatment into two sessions and laying one down in mid Feb and the next down in the middle of March .... or if that was too soon then I could lay the 1st session down in mid March and the 2nd down in mid April. Which is the best? Or should I do something different altogether.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Timing of next pre-emergent application.

The generally accepted timing for preemergents is when the forsythia bloom. Personally I've never had good luck with any preemergent materials so you do what you want to do.

o

My LESCO dealer advised NOT to use Dimension for my first Pre-M application as it only controls crab grass. I used a standard Pre-M (can't remember which) to control the winter weeds. Then I followed it with AMAZE, which has 2-or 3 ingredients that last upto 6 months.

o

My LESCO dealer advised NOT to use Dimension for my first Pre-M application as it only controls crab grass.

Well I don't know that is quite true or not, he might of been trying to sell you something else. Dimension controls:

Crabgrass (preemergence and early postemergence)
Goosegrass
Annual bluegrass (Poa annua)
Barnyardgrass
Ryegrass (annual and perennial)
Kikuyugrass
Chickweed
Henbit
Oxalis
Spurge

Now with that said he didn't outright lie to you either as AMAZE controls more, last longer, but more expensive, but Lesco does not carry AMAZE, they carry a similar product in a liquid form for commercial application. AMAZE contains Balan and Surflan.

o

Good to know TW. You're right, LESCO doesn't carry AMAZE. I use it now because of your advice previously.
It really works!

o

wraer I am curious now, what did the LESCO offer in place of Dimension?

o

I used whatever their standard pre-M is. Maybe it was "Halts" based. They said wait for late winter to use Dimension.

o

I went to a class held by LESCO and their plan was to put down the first application of Dimension around April 1. They said some other weed seeds don't germinate until the ground gets much warmer. That is the reason for the second application of Dimension around June 1 but no later than June 20. It worked very well for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here