Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rick_adams_gw

What is this invasive grass taking over my lawn ?

Rick_Adams
11 years ago

I am hoping that someone can help me with my battle to save my lawn. Over the last couple of years I have been losing a battle with an invasive species of grass.
My usual weed preventative measures (pre and post emergent) have had little , if any, effect on it.
It has very thin grass blades that grow off of runners of which the roots seem to be unusually deep (see attached photo). It spreads quickly and grows very thick, smothering out my St. Augustine. Also, my location is Jacksonville Florida, which does get reasonably cold in the winter which causes this pesky grass to brown. But once spring is in full bloom it comes back with a vengeance, hardier than ever.
Can anyone tell me what it is and how to control or get rid of it without losing the rest of my lawn?
All comments appreciated, thanks!
~Rick

This post was edited by Rick_Adams on Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 12:04

Comments (8)

• apundt-tx
    11 years ago

You have a bermuda invasion. Mow at highest setting. Find a weed killer that has atrazine in it.

• texas_weed
    11 years ago

It is Bermuda grass used on every golf course in your area.

• Rick_Adams
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the positive ID. While I am usually reluctant to use it I do have atrazine. It used to be part of my spring ritual to apply it, but several years ago I stopped, not wanting to apply chemicals that I didn't absolutely need. Can you tell me if an application this time of year would help control or get rid of it? With the mild winter here this year the grasses are just starting to green up.

• apundt-tx
    11 years ago

The grass needs to be actively growing so it is probably a little early. The best way to kill bermuda is shade.
    Could you put cardboard over it and let it sit for a couple of weeks and then check the status?

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

The St Aug should be predominant in appearance if you are mowing at your mower's highest setting and watering weekly in the summer. I have a patch that died from lack of water in 2011. The bermuda immediately took over in there, but I have nursed the St Aug back. I expect to see nothing but St Aug by the end of this season. Sure the bermuda will be there but the tall St Aug with the wide blades visually overpowers the thinner and weaker bermuda underneath.

• texas_weed
    11 years ago

Grow it tall. No way are you going to fully eradicate Bermuda in Florida as it is a perfect climate for Bermuda. As Mr Hall said mow at 4 inches and the Bermuda will stay thin and not noticeable. But if you get a dry spell, the SA will be gone and the Bermuda will thrive as it is very drought resistant.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    11 years ago

Hmm.

It looks like zoysia to me.

• PRO
    Serenity Lawn Service
    11 years ago

Don't waste the Atrazine. Atrazine may damage certain cultivars of Bermuda during Spring, but it is a common part of Bermuda lawn programs in the southeast to control Annual Bluegrass during winter dormancy. What's more, the image looks more like a common Bermuda, which is less likely to be effected by Atrazine.

If it is a small area, and you won't to avoid having it increase in size, use a product like Fusilade II. Fusilade II is used around ornamental landscapes and Liriope beds to kill Bermuda selectively and quickly. It works better than Round up at killing Bermuda, but is likely to damage the St. Augustine as well. So there again, it really depends on how far it has spread. Also, if you go that route, wait until the Bermuda has fully transitioned and again expect what ever St. Augustine is sprayed to die initially, and then fill back in from the surrounding turf.

Here is a link that might be useful: Serenity Lawn Service