Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
does "no mow" grass really work?

Posted by olderandwiser 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 12:55

I saw it mentioned in "Best of Farm Show"; it's Pearl's Premium and is recommended where the grass cover does not need a manicured look. If cut once a month, it will be about 3-4" tall.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: does "no mow" grass really work?

The shade mix is a mix of fine leaf fescues that you could maybe get away with mowing once a month and not have large amounts of clippings. The fine fescues will just lay over once they get to a certain height. This a typical mix for a highly shaded yard in the northeast. The sun mix is mainly kentucky bluegrass and fine fescues by weight, with perennial ryegrass and tall fescue thrown in for quicker cover. This is also a typical mix for the northeast. I think in the spring and the fall you will have to mow once a week if you don't want a yard full of clippings. The kbg and fine fescue will go dormant, provided you don't irrigate or get any significant rain fall, so you might be able to only once every three weeks. If you read Pearl's instructions for their low maintenance lawn it includes surface raking?, keep pH between 6 and 7, aerate, fertilize, water 1" per week, mow, overseed, pre emergent herbicide, and dethatch. Sounds like typical maintenance to me. This seed is also extremely expensive almost twice as much as similar products from Scotts and Pennington.

o

Where do you live? Zone 6 covers a lot of ground with different climates and soils.

o

I've got the no mow in my back yard from Prairie Nursery and I like it.

I mow it about once a month in April/May/June and then don't need to mow again until Oct. That does vary depending upon how hot and moist it's been.

My sister has it also and only mows it once a year....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here