Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baltimore sedge source?

Posted by donnaroyston z7a VA (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 14:42

I read Brooklyn Botanic Garden's little book, Easy Lawns (the pertinent chapter is online, "Sedge Lawns" at http://www.bbg.org/gardening/article/sedge_lawns), which was written in 1999--which is to say, the list of sources for the plants they mention needs updating.

Re Carex senta, the chapter says:

Discovered originally by Briar Hoffman growing in the lawn of a church in Towson, Maryland, Baltimore sedge is one of the best low-growing, lawn-forming sedges for deep shade. Treat this sedge as you would C. texensis. Plant plugs 6 to 8 inches on center. Like all sedges, plugs of Baltimore sedge planted in spring or fall will establish quickly.

I'm interested in giving this sedge a trial, but I can't find any sources for Carex senta. Is it available anywhere, to anyone's knowledge?

Thanks,

Donna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baltimore sedge source?

Here is one source:

http://www.moosacreeknursery.com/Native_Plants/75/Carex-senta

o

I live near Towson.
I would never, never, never , plant any sedge on my property.
I live to keep it off, which can be a pain.
If you can give me the address of the church I will even go to get you some pictures.

o

Haha, wish I knew--the chapter doesn't name the church, unfortunately.

But see, grass won't grow in some places, I have a shady property. Under some of my trees my choice is either bare soil/mulch or something non-grass. Baltimore sedge likes the shade, unlike grass -- therefore my interest in trying it out. Green sedge seems preferable to brown mud. Another option is to plant a groundcover, but not much will grow under trees with a heavy shade, and I'm looking for other options besides liriope and pachysandra terminalis. Christmas ferns would grow there, and I planted some a couple years ago -- but the scourge of the ignorant lawn guys who don't know squat weed-whacked them out of existence.

What's your grudge against sedge? I have some very handsome ornamental ones. Not suitable as a grass substitutes, these ones, however.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here