Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zoysia - unmowed emerald vs.zeon

Posted by merryaustin 8b San Antonio (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 17:12

I would like to do my lawn with a zoysia and I have narrowed it down to two. I want to leave the grass unmowed and I wondered if anyone had experience with unmowed emerald zoysia or unmowed zeon zoysia. I read an article where a man had left his emerald unmowed and he had a neighbor who did the same thing. I am very interested. He said he raked it out real good before spring and cut it to about 2 inches. He didn't say anything about a thatch problem. Any responses and/or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zoysia - unmowed emerald vs.zeon

So he cut it to 2 inches. Does that mean he mowed it to 2 inches? If so, what does unmowed mean?

What effect are you looking for in the unmowed look? Is it this...

There is only one variety that does this clumping and I don't think it is either of the ones you have picked.

o

David FWIW the picture you are showing is Korean Velvet Grass aka Mascarene grass (Zoysia tenuifolia).

Very fine bladed, extremely slow growing, hates cold weather, and used as ground cover and ornamental grass. Will not tolerate cold weather and foot traffic.

OP FWIW Zeon and Emerald grass are golf course varieties used in both fairways and putting greens.

This post was edited by texas-weed on Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 0:03

o

Hi Weed. Since the OP mentioned unmowed zoysia, I was thinking he/she might be expecting the look from that picture I posted. Haven't heard back, so still wondering. What would Zeon and Emerald look like if left unmowed?

o

Love the picture. I don't think that one will survive in San Antonio. I think I have decided to go with Emerald. Apparently it will look like shag carpet if unmown. I though I had found pictures of unmown zeon, but have since decided it was fescue
Thank you for your input.

o

To my surprise there are some landscape designs that use unmown Zoysia. I do not care for the look, but you can find some pictures out there and design tips on doing that. Go to the following web page and scroll down to about the 5th or 6th picture.

http://www.houzz.com/photos/landscape/Zoysia-/p/16

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here