Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advise requested in bringing back my dead lawn

Posted by planoresident1008 9a (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 17:47

Hello,

I am a newbie when it comes to landscaping. I am plano, tx. My front lawn is dead (Please see pics below) mainly due to tight water restriction by the city (watering just once/week) last year, hot summer and me not doing enough to manage the adverse situation. The result is all the grass in my lawn is gone and re-sodding is my only option.

As I've mentioned above, I am newbie and I am trying to find out the best way to do it. Due to my workload and other commitments, I do not have much time to do any yard work myself. I get the lawn mowing done by paying someone. I will be hiring professionals to do the re-sodding. Instead of asking the landscaping companies what needs to be done to my lawn, I want to get advise from experts here in this forum and based on that I want to tell the hired company what needs to be done.

Front left side

Front right side

I understand that on one side it is (was) St. Augustine & the other side Bermuda. I want a low maintenance grass and I don't know which one is the best for my lawn. My front lawn gets a fair amount of sunshine. So, it has to be heat resistant as well. I am sure, come this summer, there will be more tight water restriction from the city. So, the grass has to weather the drought as well. So what grass would be the best for my situation?

Also, I need expert advise on how to get the re-sodding done, watering, fertilizers and how to bring my lawn back to life quickly.

BTW, the grass on one side of my house (where there is shade in the afternoons) has not been affected at well. In fact, it is better than my neighbor's whose front lawn is in very good condition. But, my neighbor's front lawn on the other side is showing signs of distress as well. But nowhere near as bad as mine.

My side lawn that has shade in the afternoons

Thanks in advance for your time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advise requested in bringing back my dead lawn

Try Palisade zoysia grass. It looks like dwarf st augustine but as tough as bermuda when it comes to drought. They come back from ground unlike st augustine if they go too long without water (once established). It also has good shade tolerance unlike bermuda.

Make sure not to put down sod so close to the tree. Maybe 5 feet from the tree and fill in with compost.

Mow no lower than 2 inches. 3 inches max.

Zoysia requires least amount of fertilizer. just 1-2 times a year preferably organic like soybean meal. Zoysia (once established) will look best when given deep watering once a week (same for st aug and bermuda anyway). Make sure it gets one inch of water which is 600 gallons of water per 1000 sqft.

When it comes to doing basically nothing, zoysia wins out compared to bermuda (nitrogen hog, weedy) and st augustine (once dead, forever dead). Just fertilize zoysia during spring and fall and give timely watering. That's it.

o
RE: Advise requested in bringing back my dead lawn

Thanks lou_midlothian_tx for the reply and sorry for the late reply. I was out of the country and didn't get an opportunity to check my posting. The information provided is much appreciated and will go with your advise.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here