Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mil1_gw

Dead bermuda grass weeds

mil1
10 years ago

Hi-My lawn problem is that I have had Bermuda grass on my lawn-which I killed with Round-Up-although further treatments will no doubt be needed-and I need to get my lawn in proper shape (we have a homeowner's association). My plan was to rent a rototiller and get the weeds off the lawn, then put down soil and re-seed. Does this sound reasonable? I live in south central kansas and spring usually comes fairly early. Does anyone think my plan is workable?
Thank you.

Comments (6)

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

I hate when this happens. You may have already messed things up, or you may not have done anything except waste some Round Up, but you surely were on a path to an unsatisfactory result.

When did you spray the RU on the bermuda? And why did you want to kill it? Was it a hybrid bermuda or a "wild" bermuda?

What kind of grass do you want to have when this renovation is over? Bermuda again?

What do you mean by early spring? I'm in spring right now, but I doubt you are. When is your last expected frost date?

Is shade an issue with your yard?

Do you have any watering restrictions?

Rototilling and adding more soil are almost certainly mistakes. Do you have low spots in your soil where water stands for days after a hard rain? If not then you do not need more soil. If you want to create a rolling effect, then you could bring in more soil. The problem with too much soil is it washes out of the grass and over the sidewalks or roadways. I've seen a yard that had so much soil on the sidewalk that it actually grew grass. Rototilling sounds like the thing to do, but what it does is result in a bumpy surface over the next 3 years. You are much better off creating a perfectly level surface at the surface and leaving the current soil structure intact.

It sounds like you have to do something almost immediately. Please get back with answers to the questions, so we can help you more.

• joneboy
    10 years ago

Skip the tilling. You will just spread around any bermuda grass stolons or rhizomes.Skip the topsoil. I would just have the yard aerified, to provide some seed to soil contact. Then seed with a turf type tall fescue, because of it's quick germination, at ten pounds to the thousand. Would not use kentucky bluegrass seed in the spring because slow germination. If you want kentucky bluegrass, you should seed that in the late summer/early fall. Seeding in the spring you need to use a pre emergent herbicide, to keep most of the summer annual weeds from germinating. Use Tenacity with the active ingredient of mesotrione as your pre emergent. This is one of the few pre emergent herbicides that you can seed cool season grasses into. Use of Tenacity requires a licensed applicator to apply. You could skip the pre emerge as well but you will just end up with a lawn full of crabgrass by the end of June. So to recap that was aerify, seed, mesotrione, and water. Also wait till the soil temp gets to 55 degrees for a couple days in a row.

• mil1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dchall and joneboy-Thank you both. My problem is that we are not allowed to have bermuda in our neighborhood by the homeowner's association. The bermuda slowly crept into the lawn. The kind of grass I want to have is fescue when this is over. I am in south central kansas-we have had some snow and cold but at the moment it is around 60 degrees. Shade is not an issue witht he yard, and there are no watering restrictions.
    I don't have any spots on my lawn where the water stands after a hard rain.
    Aeration sounds like a good idea-it's just that there are a lot of these dead entangled bermuda grass weeds that might get in the way of new fescue growing or even getting seeds in the ground. Would the tenacity prevent new bermuda from growing?
    Thanks.

• andy10917
    10 years ago

"Use of Tenacity requires a licensed applicator to apply."

Not in any state I know of. Tenacity (Mesotrione) is not a restricted-use product. It has been general-use since it got residential approval in April 2011.

• mil1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi-
    Thank all of you for the advice. I will definitely not rototill. I do still need to get rid of this huge mess of now dead bermudagrass. Does anybody know if a thatching rake, or power thatcher, or power rake would work?
    Thanks,
    mil1

• steilberg
    10 years ago

we used 6 mil black plastic from june to august, found that Bermuda kills off without sun, it will die off under the doghouse but may come back when you move shade to another area.