Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Standing water in the backyard

Posted by okcliving09 none (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 19:11

I recently moved into a new home with sod that has been laid down last summer. The problem that I have is that every time it rains water accumulates along the fence line that never drains. I am assuming it is the clay's doing. What are the possible remedies to solving this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Standing water in the backyard

There are two approaches you can take: one is to drain the water away and the other is to open the soil up to let it soak in. Or I suppose you could build a pond under your fence ;-)

In order for water to drain away, you have to have a spot lower than the low spot you already have. Ideally the neighborhood would have been built with drainage in mind. And maybe yours was. It could be the previous owners have 'topdressed' every year and changed the way the yard drains. If your yard seems a little higher than the rest of the yards, then you might look for where the lowest spot is really supposed to be and remove all the soil blocking the original designed drainage.

Can you post a picture looking along the fence line?

You might be able to open the soil enough by spraying it with cheap shampoo. Use one that is clear. Spray at least 3 ounces per 1,000 square feet. You can go up to 30 ounces per 1,000 with no problems, but start with 3. What the shampoo does is reduce the surface tension of the water and allow it to penetrate between the soil particles that are holding it back. It's worth a try and usually works to soften soil. Apply several times giving it a week or two to show improvement before spraying again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here