Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natalie4b

How to get rid of bermuda grass

natalie4b
15 years ago

Hello,

I am planning to build several flower beds, and someone told me that building lasagna beds on top of bermuda grass is useless - it will just laugh at you.

So, how do I get rid of grass, preferably naturally/organically?

Thanks!

Natalie

Comments (7)

• californian
    15 years ago

I have gotten rid of Bermuda grass in small areas without using chemicals. But I don't think my method would work in Georgia, it requires six months without a drop of rain like we get in southern California. I just keep pulling it up and don't water the area where I pulled it up from. Each time I do this the rhizomes and roots get weaker and weaker until the plant dies. But any Bermuda growing close to a place I water like a tomato plant will live and keep coming back. I also cover areas around my fruit trees with a six inch layer of compost, but it will grow right through the compost. But it makes it easier to pull up because it can't get rooted as good in my hard clay.

• texas_weed
    15 years ago

Well I use the Lasagna method and completely organic in my beds and garden. But I do it a bit differently than most, and you are not going to like what I say, but it works.

When I start a new bed, I start in the fall. I first hit the area with Round UP, wait a week and hit it again, then wait another week. Then I just scalp the area and remove the debris. OK here is my secret. I donÂt use newspaper, I use heavy duty card board and lay is down on the dead grass, then build up the bed with whatever I got. Wait till spring, plant, and use a heavy layer of Mulch.

Now I am in TX, but with you being in GA, Bermuda will try to invade, there is just no way around it. If you have the beds built up correctly, it is very easy to control by just pulling what shows up. I promise you the grass growing along the edge of the bed will see that nice fertile moist soil, and it will cross the barrier to get in.

• natalie4b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It is probably the most invasive grass of all.
    I've tried to remove the top inch or two of turf, and it manages to survive somehow.
    I would not mind to use Round Up as a last resort. Cardboard is probably a better alternative to a bunch of newspapers I've used so far. It will probably be a year for it to disintegrate (cardboard).
    Thank you both for your replies Texas-weed and Californian.
    Wish me good luck! :)
    Natalie

• iforgotitsonevermind
    15 years ago

How deep are the roots?

• natalie4b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, that's a nice tool! I could use one of those :). Usually I am on my hands and knees scraping the grass. This would work better.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    15 years ago

Round Up is the only way to get rid of bermuda. There's really no other way. I did exactly same as TW did in the past when I converted bermuda lawn to St augustine lawn. It took me 5 application to finally get rid of them before winter came. It was brown all winter then when spring came, I mowed as low as possible then I just threw st Augustine sod right on top of them. If I had to start over, I probably would have used power rake machine to loosen up ground surface for better root contact for quicker establishment.

I guess that's something for you to think about if you ever want to convert to st augustine one day if your trees get big enough to provide shade where bermuda can't thrive. St augustine will do much better with less sun than bermuda.

• natalie4b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My bermuda does get very little sun as the garden matures. It really looks pitiful, and takes valuable space that can be occupied by my cottage garden beds :).
    Thank you Lou_midlothian_tx.
    I will keep it in mind about St.Augustin grass, and might do just that - replace some areas of bermuda with it, since small patches of green lawn among flowers look lovely.