Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikeop

A piece of my yard keeps dying, even after reseeding

mikeop
12 years ago

I have a pretty decent lawn. I had Scotts coming and doing their thing for about 5 years but quit around 3-4 seasons ago. Late in summer 2010 a patch of my lawn turned mostly brown - very odd. I checked for bugs and fungi and found nothing. The patch I should note, is in full sunlight on the south side of the house, but it had always been fine - at least in the 12 years I've lived here. The grass is fescue blend. I mow at a medium height.

At the beginning of last summer I had a couple of lawn companies come and look at it. Scotts just gave me quotes to take care of my whole lawn but never answered the question about why the patch had died. Then I had a local guy come and he did a half-ass job of churning and reseeding. He also aerated the whole lawn. The grass grew in, but in about August it died again.

Now it is March and I have watched all winter as the dirt seems to have churned up (see pics). I never see animals digging in it (that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't there). But this is odd. Does anyone recognize the problem by looking at these pics? I hate to dig and reseed only to have it fail again. Any theories? Much obliged.

Click the image to see larger.

{{gwi:81281}}

{{gwi:81284}}

Comment (1)