Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weeds

Posted by Sportscarguy NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 1:21

My lawn usually looks good in the spring but by the end of July to August, these big ugly weeds come out in my backyard.

What is the best thing to do and what fertilizer do you recommend?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weeds

It isn't at all about a particular brand of fertilizer that is better than others. For the most part, fertilizer is a commodity despite what all of the brands try to say. The secret is in applying the right ingredients at the right times, and staying with a plan for the whole season. Too many people make a big splash in the Spring and then trail off in the most important times: late Summer and Fall. 2/3rds of your fertilizing should be in the Fall.

Google the article "Weed Control: The Triangle Approach" and you'll see an easy approach to beating common and uncommon weeds this year, and anyone can do it - even rookies.

o
RE: Weeds

I read the article and its best not to apply a pre-crabgrass fertilizer in the spring?

My lawn is large in the back and what is a good approach for over 1 acre of property? Know that I did spray for weeds last year and it did not seem to help at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here