Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mooch91

Timing for spring seeding - northeast

mooch91
13 years ago

I know that spring is not necessarily the best time to seed a new lawn. With that said...

Had some construction completed this week and brought in about 3 yards of topsoil to level a couple of hundred square feet of ground. Now I need to seed for the upcoming season. Got the topsoil down yesterday (temps were in the upper 50s) and I think spring is near breaking here in New Jersey (although I just heard a call for a chance of snow on the news).

Can I drop the seed now and have reasonably good success for germination this year, or should I wait? I'm trying to take advantage of another day of good weather (and some rare "free time") to get the job completed but don't want to do it if it will be a problem. If I should wait, what is the advantage of doing so?

Comments (8)

• goren
    13 years ago

No, not the best time, but then do we sit on the need just because fall is the best time. If the lawn needs fixing, then who would say 'well, I'll wait until October and not look at it all summer'.

Often it only takes minor fix-ups to start the lawn fixing itself. Raking the debris off, opening up furrows so the grass seed can find a place where rains won't wash it away.
    But, seeding does come down to 'when' is the best time as far as time of season. The soil has to welcome the seed for good germination so as temperatures begin to rise it will affect how soil temperatures rise. The temperature of soil is usually regarded as a must to be above 55� or the seed will just sit, waiting for the optimum time to begin. But then again, that's not a bad thing to do...the seed will just wait and germinate the their time is right.
    It does though allow birds to feast.

We use the interval between when its not the optimum time to get the ground ready to accept the seed.
    Raking, rolling if necessary, spreading a little topsoil or otherwsie make the soil want to welcome the seed.

• dmoore66_gardener
    13 years ago

If it is not too big of an area you might consider sod

• brankulo
    13 years ago

i did spring seeding last spring after our home was built. most of the forum members were not suggesting it but i had to have lawn by end of june to keep bldg department happy. i followed all the suggestions i got here and had pretty nice lawn by mid summer. just make sure you get quality seed, have water schedule and follow all the suggestions you get here. i germinated quite a few weeds too, so every weekend me and my wife would hand pull them. as the grass got thicker the weeds retreated. now after one year i have only few thin spots which will hopefully fill in this season. i seeded kgb. here are some images of my lawn
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lawns/msg0917544522612.html

• nearandwest
    13 years ago

VERY NICE!!! But let's make sure we get the correct story here. Did you accomplish this with your wife's help, or did your wife accomplish this with your help????? Lol.

Either way, very nice result. As evidenced, spring seeding can yield a positive result.

• brankulo
    13 years ago

the truth is, my wife pulled some weeds and gave up, complaining about damn crap grass. i couldnt stop laughing.

• WillBeames
    10 years ago

I think I have missed my opportunity to overseed this fall but plan to do it in the spring by pulling my core aerator over the lawn multiple times, then dethatching to loosen up the surface followed by broadcast and drop spreading seed. However, I have a real crabgrass problem each year. How can I sow new grass as well as prevent crabgrass - surely both need to go down around the same time and the crabgrass preventer (I use Scotts with halts) will also stop the grass seed from germinating.

Any suggestions ?

• hogan_nj
    10 years ago

You can sow grass seeds and Use Tenacity at the same time. google Tenacity.

• WillBeames
    10 years ago

Unfortunately I have close to half an acre....Tenacity would break the bank. Any other suggestions ?
    I'm thinking more about getting the timing right. Can I put seed down then wait a couple of weeks before putting crabgrass preventer down or should I have just seeded this year ?