Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xxnonamexx

Liquid Thatch remover?

xxnonamexx
10 years ago

I know this company makes a good product spray and grow but what about liquid thatch remover for lawns?

https://spray-n-growgardening.com/lawn-care/liquid-thatch-remover-1-gal-concentrate.html

Comments (7)

• apundt-tx
    10 years ago

overpriced product.
    I can get a Medina product for a fifth that price.

• xxnonamexx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Can you send a link? Does it work well? Thanks

• tnjdm
    10 years ago

Actually you can make these type products for a lot less than either of these companies are going to sell it for. The idea of these products is to kick up the activity of the microherd in your soil which feast on the thatch. In many cases, you will not get a label which list the products so you won't mix your own and buy their expensive product. The majority have soluble Kelp, Humic Acid, Molasses, etc. which kick those micro-organisms into high gear. This, coupled with a homemade soil conditioner, which loosens up compactness, are great for defeating excessive thatch. Please note excessive as a little thatch is good (1/4" or so)

For a gallon of the Kelp/Humic acid:
    2oz of soluable Kelp Powder ($8.95 for 4 oz, $16.95 for 16 oz, plus shipping)
    4oz of soluble Humic Acid Powder ($7.95 for 8 oz, plus shipping)
    122 oz of Water (free)
    Mix these into a jug

Blackstrap, unsulphered Molasses (which I get at the grocery store)

For a gallon of soil conditioner:
    60 oz of Soduim Laureth Sulfate ($18.95 per gallon, but shpping is a little heavy)
    8 oz of Yucca Extract ($15.14 for 16 oz)
    40 oz of water (free)
    mix these in a jug
    You can substitute baby shampoo for the soduim Laureth, but use about 100oz and reduce water.

In a hose end sprayer, mix/shake 2 oz of each for every 1K sq. ft of lawn you are going to apply and spray away. Together is fine

As for the molasses, don't mix them in any of the jugs. Add a couple of ounces every other time you are going to spray into the hose end sprayer, with the other mixes noted, shake and fire away.

My first year I did it every other week with amazing results, especially with soil compactness. The second year about once a month. I can drive a screw driver into the ground 4-6" with eases (this is a result of the soil conditioner).

Lastly, if you want to not discuss thatch in the future, pay attention to watering and mowing practices, coupled with avoiding excessive synthetic nitrogen fertilizing which you can do by going organic.

Last Note: As always, I have to give credit where credit is deserved. There is very knowlegable people who have spent countless hours coming up with this stuff that lurk this forum and others. These guys are fantastic. If you want to learn more about these homemade formulas, google "Kelp Help" and "BL Soli Conditioner".

• apundt-tx
    10 years ago

medina soil activator $15.00 at big box store.
    The recipe above by TNJDM is the same thing.
    If you use the beer recipe found on the internet the can of beer(buy your favorite) is for the applicator/person and not the mix/spray that goes on the lawn.

This post was edited by apundt-tx on Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 7:56

• tnjdm
    10 years ago

apundt. Kudos on the beer one. I did buy beer to add to the mix one time (I swear for the mix). Took it out to the man shed to mix the formula. Last I remembered, I woke up on the floor with a splitting headache covered in powered kelp, humic acid, and........

You get the picture.

• xxnonamexx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info does the medina soil activator take care of the thatching?

• Toprok
    9 years ago

So if you bought the Medina Soil Activator it contains both the Kelp/Humic Acic and a Soil Conditioner?

I have St. Augustine and was looking into Core Aeration to help with my Thatch and I was looking at purchasing Lazyman Soil Doctor at $50 per gallon, ouch. Is this recipe better? If so that is quite a savings