Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cooking oil on grass

Posted by lvncntry25 Ohio (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 17, 09 at 8:40

My neighbor got drunk this past weekend and dumped out his turkey fryer on my grass & driveway I'm not sure how much was dumped but it's about a 3-4 foot circle but I know those fryers hold a lot of oil. what am I gonna have to do to clean it up.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cooking oil on grass

Wow, that,s bad. The only good thing is that it's not petroleum oil. If it were me, I would sprinkle about 1/4 inch of compost on the area in hopes that the microbes will consume the vegetable oil. A little table sugar or dilute molasses on area would feed the microbes. I'm not sure how successful this will be, but that's what I would do. - Bill Hill

o

I would take off the top inch or two of the soil and replace it with fresh soil. You may want to use the sugar like billhill said. Take off the top inch or two, put down some sugar and cover it with fresh soil.
Good luck.

o

most likely it was peanut oil. if it was cool when he dumped it, then no big deal. it will kill what is there and nothign else will grow until it is absorbed/eaten by microbes. but it ain't going to poison the yard or anything.

i use old veggie/peanut oil to kill the weeds around my LP tank and the outside of my flower beds. also useful for killing small saplings, though on those i pour it on hot.

o

As mentioned it will kill what ever it touched and nothing will grow there until digested. So live with it and Mother nature will fix it, or dig up the soil and replace it.

FWIW you neighbor is a moron, used cooking oil is worth a pretty penny. Use to be restuarants had to pay to haul the stuff off, now they recieve around $2 per gallon from folks who turn it into diesel fuel.

o

Down here diesel fuel is used all the time to kill plants growing under fence lines. Some people mix it with molasses to restart the life in the soil. I've never tried it but I hear about it all the time.

o

Putting a teaspoon or two of dishwashing soap and some water into a hose-end sprayer and watering the spot and surrounding area with the mixture once every 10 days will probably speed up the recovery a bit. Do NOT use antibacterial soap, as you will kill the very soil bacteria that you want to use to help the area recover.

o

Good idea Andy. I use generic baby shampoo from Wally's. It doesn't have anything in it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here