Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lots of clay and really squishy

Posted by Dakota80 MD (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 10:06

I recently had an addition put on our house and when the foundation was excavated, we ended up using all of the clay to re-grade the entire lawn. I was able to grow grass in the fall hoping to stabilize the yard, but there are areas that are really soft and hold the water due to all the clay. I know I should have put a layer of topsoil down, but we were in a time crunch.

I believe the ground was compacted pretty well, but the clay is keeping the water on the surface. What is my best course of action to firm up the yard? Someone suggested aerating and adding sand. Any thoughts? Thanks much!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lots of clay and really squishy

At this point I would not be concerned with compaction or clay. I would be concerned with proper drainage. So they pulled out lots of soil and did not remove it??? Is that right? Did this change your drainage? The correct answer is, "yes," but the issue is whether it created a problem for you. It likely did if you are now getting wet soil. Does water collect in one or more areas and not drain?

Did a landscaper spread the soil or was it done by the excavator? Generally I would trust a landscaper to do this job right. And generally I would expect an excavator to simply follow directions to save money by not removing the excess soil.

How often do you water, or have you begun watering yet? And how long do you water when you do?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here