Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lawn disaster, needs reboot!

Posted by rustycat Massachusetts (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 10:10

Hi,

My lawn is an absolute disaster! There are huge bare patches which weeds fill in during the Summer, and the ground is uneven and muddy. There are also two 40 foot sugar maples along the back fence.

I want to restart my lawn from seed, but have no idea where or how to do so. I am on a limited budget since I am a renter, and my wife insists on using natural weed killer.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lawn disaster, needs reboot!

Okay so put your wife in charge of finding a natural weed killer and let her do that job. The best one is to go pull them yourself. Give her a month and see if she changes her mind.

The reason you have huge bare patches could be from the shade of the trees. Are they to the north or south of you? If you have lots of shade during the day, then fescue is your only choice of seed. Fescue is a bunch grass (meaning it does not spread). The only way to get more fescue is to apply more seed every fall after it thins out in the summer. Fall is the time of year to seed, not now. So if you don't have the budget to seed twice, then wait and seed in the fall. If you seed now, you will get about nothing for your trouble. The new grass will die under the summer heat and crabgrass will fill in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here