Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
did i kill my bermuda

Posted by mksmth ok 6b (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 28, 11 at 10:19

well I may have goofed. couple of weeks ago I had to drain my above ground pool. My drain hose was plenty long enough to get to the street, except that about half way through draining I had to move the pump and the hose ended up on the lawn beside the drive. The problem is I didnt think about the fact my pool is a salt pool. There was no other chemicals in the pool at the time of draining. I didnt test for chlorine since I hadnt ran the generator for months, I assume it had all leached out especially since the water was green as grass.

Id say about 2,000 gallons was drained onto the lawn which does slope very well towards the street. Now that the bermuda is coming out of dormancy the area that got all the water is a yellowish green while the rest is dark green.

Should I water this area heavily to "wash" out the presumably high salt concentration. The salt concentration in the water should have been about 3.0 ppm.

thanks
mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: did i kill my bermuda

Yes purge the soil with lots of water, the grass will come back.

o

Considering the chemical would have dissipated strength over winter, I cant see the lawn being affected by it.
Sure, purge the lawn of what you think might have made it to the roots but chances are the yellow is just from the amount of water--with salt--rather than any chlorine affect.
I agree, your lawn should come back but I'd be looking for when I should put a good nitrogen fertilizer down.

o

Goren salt is the problem, not chlorine. He had a salt water pool.

o

thanks for the advice! I will purge it soon. Hopefully we get some rain to save some $ for water.

Thanks

o

May I ask why a salt water pool in OK?

o

From what I've seen around the forums, bermuda is not very salt tolerant. You may have a problem.

o

From what I've seen around the forums, bermuda is not very salt tolerant

Dave you are correct Bermuda is sensitive to salt, but so are most other grasses. The encouraging part is the OP states the grass is yellow-green which means alive.

At any rate there is only 1 solution, well just one that most folks can afford as opposed to excavation, is to purge the salt by flushing it out with water.

o

Yup! Purge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here