Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike_13

KBG spring care after overseeding (mowing, alfalfa pellets)

Mike_13
10 years ago

I overseeded my lawn with Kentucky Bluegrass last September. After winter the grass has grown up to 3,5-4 inches in some places, but around 60-70% of my lawn is still at ~1,5 inches.
Right now temperatures in my area 40 overnight and 60 during the day, but they are forecasted to reach 50 overnight and 70 during the day at the end of the week.

Is it already time to mow my lawn? Should I bag or mulch the clippings?
When do I start fertilizing with alfalfa pellets? And, finally, should I stick to alfalfa pellets throughout the entire season, or should I use a "regular" fertilizer every once in a while?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)

• tnjdm
    10 years ago

Mike,

Thanks for reminding us that Poland is in Europe :)

You might want to bag these first clippings as it appears you will be cutting more than a 1/3 of the grass stalk off if some areas are 4" high. When mulching grass you really want to reomve about a third of the grass blade.

As for the fertilization, it really depends on what you want to do. Are you looking for a hybrid of synthetics and Organics? Are you looking to go fully organic? Either one is acceptable depending on what you are trying to achieve.

As far as laying the Alfalfa pellets, you probably want to make sure there is no more freezes in the forecast where it may just sit there and get washed away by rain. As the temperatures rise, the micro-organism become more active to process the Alfalfa. There probably still a little sleepy.

Feeding with Alfalfa is just fine depending what else you may have access too. It's better to mix up the feedings if you can and maybe throw some higher nitrogen into the mix. If you have access to soybean meal and Corn Gluten Meal (higher nitrogen), cracked corn, etc.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

I would love to see pictures of your lawn. Can you post them here?

Don't worry about different grass heights...unless the short grass is growing in the shade. KBG needs full sun.

• Mike_13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your replies!

I mowed my lawn on Saturday but I'll wait with fertilization until it gets a bit warmer.

I'm not sure if I want to go fully organic, or synthetic/organic. I just want a nice-looking lawn - first of all, I want it to be thicker, and then - if possible - I'd like to get rid of the weeds. But even a weed-infested thick lawn will make me happy.

Sure, I'll post some pictures of my lawn :) We're doing a house renovation this year, so don't pay attention to the hideous terrace and walls.

It's still a really miserable lawn, but compared to last year, the difference is night and day, especially considering how little money I invested in it so far (~$100).

Here's what it looks like (unfortunately, it looks much worse in person):
    {{gwi:81911}}
    It's pretty thick in some areas (~5-10% of my lawn)
    {{gwi:81912}}
    {{gwi:81913}}
    But really ugly in other areas :( (half of my lawn looks like that..)
    {{gwi:81914}}
    {{gwi:81915}}
    {{gwi:81916}}

This post was edited by Mike_13 on Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 16:04

• Mike_13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's getting warmer and the grass is growing - however, thin spots (which make up most of my lawn) aren't really getting any thicker, and weeds are popping up like crazy.

Here are some pictures.

Low spots:
    {{gwi:81917}}

Thin spots:
    {{gwi:81918}}
    {{gwi:81919}}

Tons of these weeds:
    {{gwi:81920}}
    {{gwi:81921}}

Quite a lot of these:
    {{gwi:81922}}

A couple of these:
    {{gwi:81923}}
    {{gwi:81924}}

Here's what I want my lawn to look like (Auteck's pics). I know I'm being silly, and I know there's no chance my current lawn will ever look like that - but I would like to get as close as possible.
    {{gwi:81910}}

I mowed once this year, I haven't started fertilizing or watering yet.

Where do I start? Any tips? I'd be very grateful :)