Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elbow_grease

New to Organic Lawn Care. Advice Would Be Greatly Appreciated.

elbow_grease
10 years ago

Hello everyone,

Here is a little background about my situation. Last year was the first year I attempted organic lawn care. This was after using lawn care companies for 2 1/2 years prior. ( We all know what they promote) Before the 2 1/2 years of chemical use the lawn I inherited was sod that the builder placed down and completely neglected until I moved in (approximately 2 years later) Last year was a very up and down year for my lawn.

I was a little late to the game and didn�t start any treatments till late April, which is when I stumbled across Garden Web. At this point I had aerated the lawn already. All I used throughout the season was Milorganite to fertilize and followed the "holiday schedule". In early to Mid summer I attempted the baby shampoo treatment. This really helped with water retention. Prior to doing this I would get run off in areas of the lawn. I watered deeply and infrequently throughout the summer months, while mowing at the highest heigh with my mower. My lawn was nice and green through out the season just by doing these couple things. However..... Weeds, weeds, and more weeds.

This was my biggest challenge and most frustrating issue to deal with. I started by pulling them by hand then eventually got a handy tool but they were out of control. Not wanting to resort to my old ways I just dealt with them and tried to do the best I could with what I had. Part of the problem is that I had a vacant lot on each side of me that would only be mowed once every month in a half to two months. Now I have a neighbor that built on the lot to the west of me which is the direction the wind usually blows, so thats a plus.

So here is where my questions come in. I have heard about weed and feed and pre emergents. None of which were applied to my lawn last year. I think this could be where my problem started. On the organic level I have heard that CGM is the way to go for a pre emergent. But I have also read that timing is everything when using that. Some people say its too expensive and the results they achieved weren�t worth the cost. Is there anything that I can do to prevent weeds from taking over like they did last year? Cost is a factor but I am willing to do whatever it takes. My lawn is only about 5,000 sq feet. Another frustrating issue I developed last year was moles. Any way to keep them out? I know there is a grub control that can be put down but, I�m not sure if this is a viable option in the organic world.

Hopefully I have provided you folks with enough information to help me out. Being that I have a few new neighbors this year, I would love to be a good example to the rest of them, and keep tru green out.

I appreciate your expertise in this matter,

Jon

Comments (2)