Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is zoysia worthwhile for low maintenance lawn?

Posted by hairmetal4ever Z7 MD (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 11:24

In a transition zone...here in the Mid Atlantic and most of the Upper South, we're in USDA zones 6 or 7...our summers are a bit hotter, and sometimes drier, for KBG or even TTTF to be truly happy without extra water. However, our coldish winters and cool springs mean that warm season grasses either aren't cold hardy, or stay brown until June.

The zoysia discussion around here usually ends in "pick when you want your grass to be brown - from July-Sept (cool season) or from Nov-May (zoysia).

However, for a large property too big to irrigate, is it worthwhile for it's heat tolerance and ability to choke out weeds? Can someone in a similar climate (MD, VA, NJ, S. PA, even TN or somewhere) speak to how zoysia has performed?

When does it actually green up? I know of one lawn that I'm 99% sure is zoysia around here. While the TTTF and KBG lawns green up in Late March (well, not this year...too cold still), brown out in July, and then green in fall until the first really cold winter weather...the lawn in question, I remember it was green on Mother's Day last year but hadn't seen it before. But since it has been straw-brown since at least Thanksgiving last year, I think it's probably zoysia.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is zoysia worthwhile for low maintenance lawn?

Any grass in this area is not going to thrive, all year,without irrigation. Zoysia is an excellent low maintance grass in this area, however if the area to large to irrigate then it is definitely to large to sod. Zoysia sod is expense and it will gradually thin out with no irrigation and it does not recover quickly from damage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here