Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting overrun and losing the weed war

Posted by newlawnowner Tampa, Florida (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 11:40

I'm desperate for help here!!!

We moved in a little over a year ago and inherited a nice St Augustine lawn, which lasted until December when the sprinklers went out and watering wasn't done well for about a month. The sprinklers were fixed, but since then weeds have slowly overtaken the side and back yards and have finally made it to the front. I've tried turf builder and weed control at the home depot guy's recommendation, but that doesn't seem to have done anything except encouraged the weeds.

It seems like every type of weed is there:

chickweed (moving very quckly)
dollarweed (EVERYWHERE in the shade)
dandelion
knotweed
something that looks like prickly lettuce

Can this be salvaged? The existing grass still looks good in a lot of areas. I'm ready to try anything, any ideas??

I've attached pictures of some rough areas and I can add any that might help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting overrun and losing the weed war

picture was too big, here they are

o

and one more

o

No replys from the smart guys yet?

I have been using the "Triangle Approach" this year and I am seeing results. It has been a battle but you look like you could see much better results.

I have been buying my Bayer Advanced weed control from Amazon. Its cheaper than at HD or Lowes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Weed Control: The

o

I'm the "author" of the Triangle Approach, but I don't see anything about what was the cause of the sudden spurt in weeds. Did the person that fixed the irrigation system set it to something dumb like 10-15 minutes a day? How are you watering, mowing and fertilizing the lawn? Something changed, and I really doubt that it was the irrigation system broke for a month. Did you disturb the soil in any way?

o

Post emergent hebicides for st.augustine, Atrazine gets some broadleaf weeds and most annual grasses, Image or Manage for sedges, and 2,4D amine, dicamba,mcpp many broad leaves, dandelion and plantain. Going forward I would cut the water back during the late fall/winter. This looks like a overwatered lawn to me. I would also look into the use of a pre emergent herbicide. Mowing height should be at 3" and if you have not fertilized yet this spring it's probably time to start.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here