Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midwestguy33

How many soil tests?

midwestguy33
11 years ago

I am not sure if this is the correct forum for this question (sorry if it's not), but I am trying to determine how many soil tests I need for my yard. I am planning on sending the soil samples to Logan Labs for the standard soil test (unless someone has a better suggestion). The specifics on our yard are as follows:

1. The lot is approximately 14,000 sq ft. The house was built 6 years ago and is new construction. The lot behind us is still not built on (weeds).

2. The front yard was sodded and the back yard was seeded. I believe we have a mixture of kentucky blue grass, tall fescue and ryegrass.

3. The back grass grows much better than the front. I believe this is due to rock and concrete buried below grass (especially along the driveway and parkway) and the hot afternoon sun (front yard faces west).

4. We have an above ground pool installed in the back (two years ago) and to decks. We also installed a lot of trees/shrubs in the back last spring and created large, mulch covered beds (approximately 1/4 of backyard).

{{gwi:82135}}

{{gwi:82136}}

{{gwi:82137}}

My question is how many samples/tests do I need to take? Will one test for the whole lot be enough? Do I need to have a seperate test for the front and back yard? Should seperate tests be done for the lawn and for the mulch beds? I don't want to spend a lot of money ($20 a test) but also want acurate results. Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)

• andy10917
    11 years ago

You've basically answered your own questions. The number of tests could be as high as the number of different areas/soils/etc, but then trim it down if you're not willing to treat them differently. Each test should have 6-12 samples from the test area, mixed.

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

Andy is right but since this is the lawn forum, my vote is for one test of the front yard (multiple samples).

Your front looks very nice for this time of year. By nice I mean dense. That is the Kentucky bluegrass for you. It is also dead looking. That is also the Kentucky bluegrass for you. But when it comes back, lordy! It is magnificent!!

I believe the culprits in the front are the afternoon heat and lack of all the shady stuff you have in the back. Otherwise it is pretty good. If you google Andy's screen name and Logan Labs, you will find his normal roost where he interprets LL soil tests. He is a miracle worker.

What is your watering regimen? Frequency and duration. Watering almost always can be done better.

I would also like to plug an organic approach for your lawn. The normal chemical approach would be to fertilize once in the late spring and twice in the fall. With chemicals you always worry about getting too much and hurting the grass. With organic you don't have to worry about that. If it doesn't look right in one spot, just put more down. I fertilize my lawn up to 5 times per season although I have gone as high as 8 times in an experiment to see what would happen. What happened is my lawn has never looked that nice. But I have not repeated that as my budget for lawn care is not that big anymore (new job with lower pay). My organic fertilizer of choice recently is alfalfa pellets (rabbit chow). So it is available everywhere for about $12 per bag. I don't want to sound like I'm forcing this down your throat. I'm just offering it as something to think about.

• midwestguy33
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks both of you for the advice. I have tried to water the front as much as possible during the summer but I never seem to get the 1" from the hose sprinklers. I wish I could find better sprinklers. I actually just checked in the basement yesterday and I suspect that part of the problem is 1/2" pipe running to the hose bibs. I would love to install an irrigation system (I have no problem hooking into the main) but its not in the budget this year (unless it could be installed in stages....front this year, back next).

I really suspect part of the problem is the concrete/asphalt buried. I believe the builder just dumped materials along the driveway and parkway which is impeding the growth of the grass. I dug up a small section along the driveway where the grass wasn't growing well and there were chunks of asphalt. I plan on doing the same in certain areas this spring. What about areas where the grass grows okay but doesn't thrive like other areas of the front yard. I believe there is probably materials buried there too but I don't want to dig up huge sections.

I also plan on going organic this year. What would be a good schedule for the first year? Whats your opinion on milorganite as opposed to alfalfa? What should I use for weed and crabgrass preventer?

Thanks again!

This post was edited by pmsmith2032 on Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 10:55