Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aquarian1228

Roundup on lawn will not hurt grass?

aquarian1228
16 years ago

Hi! I've been lurking here for the past year or so since we we bought our first house. I've learned so much from you all.

Our entire lawn is covered with weeds (has been since we bought the house), and if we don't do something now, our neighbors are going to flip. We are getting desperate.

I can't seem to find the answer to this question anywhere.

My DH and I are at our wits end with the weeds in our lawn. He's tried to spray two different chemicals two times, with no real results (except the weeds look watered).

Right now our weeds are aliving and thriving. Our grass is brown and dead. The home depo dude says that we can safely spray round up, kill the weeds now, and then the grass will come up in the spring. Does anyone know if this is true?

Comments (18)

• jerry_nj
    16 years ago

Not sure, but Roundup is a great vegetation killer, including lawn/grass. Not sure if dormant grass can resist Roundup, but I'd not use it anytime on the lawn, unless I planned to till and re-plant the whole lawn after all vegetation was dead. There must be a safe waiting period for Roundup, after which one can plan grass seed.

• jerry_nj
    16 years ago

Here's something I saw on what is this weed, or similar topic.

Looks like it is too late for RU, as the Bermuda appears to be waking up.

Where RU refers to Roundup...seems someone thinks its is OK to use RU on dormant Bermuda grass.

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    16 years ago

Right now our weeds are aliving and thriving. Our grass is brown and dead. The home depo dude says that we can safely spray round up, kill the weeds now, and then the grass will come up in the spring. Does anyone know if this is true?

That...depends. If the grass is absolutely not in the slightest bit awake, then yes.

In the DFW Texas area, you could have several different types of grasses. Some would be awake, others kind of nappy, others not yet. Even around here (where it's still definitely winter), the grass is starting to awaken.

If it were me, here, with my grass, I wouldn't do it. I know I'd have heavy losses.

Consider that for what it's worth, of course.

• davidandkasie
    16 years ago

even if the bermuda is waking up RU won't do permanent harm in most cases. just look at the number of threads where people try to kill it! my bermuda is always green when i RU the whole yard every spring. within a couple weeks or so it is back greenr and fuller than ever since it does not have to compete with the weeds.

if you don't have bermuda, DON'T use RU or you will kill it off.

look at it this way, if you kill everything, are you in worse shape than you are now?

• mmqb
    16 years ago

I just put out Ortho weed killer, and it is working on some weeds, but not all of them. I'm going to wait for a full two weeks to pass and then, I'm going to RU the entire lawn. If you dilute the RU properly (2oz/gallon) I think you'll be okay. My buddy owns a landscaping business that services most of the golf courses in the triangle area of NC, and they've been spraying diluted RU with tractors all over various bermuda turf courses. I'm sure it is warmer here than in Texas, so I think you'll be okay. Bermuda is inactive when dormant, so the RU shouldn't affect it. Round up also disipates over a few days, so it should be okay. Just be sure to dilute it properly in a hand sprayer. If your still worried, just spot spray.

• texas_weed
    16 years ago

"I'm sure it is warmer here than in Texas"
    While I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but what KOOL-AID are you drinking? >:). NC warmer than TX?

• tdscpa
    16 years ago

Texas-weed

NC warmer than Texas? Probably not. However, northwest Kansas is warmer than Texas in the summer, colder than Anchorage, Alaska in the winter.

• mmqb
    16 years ago

It is warmer in Texas than NC in the summer, but in the winter and spring, NC tends to not get as cold as Texas. I was saying that right now (meaning March) it is likely warmer in NC than in Texas, so spraying RU on the lawn should be okay to do. You definitely can't spray RU much later than mid-march no matter where your located, or the bermuda will get killed too.

• texas_weed
    16 years ago

85 here in North TX today, 80 yesterday. Some parts of TX today are neraing 100

• jeannie7
    16 years ago

Aquarian, if you have read the label on that package of RoundUp, you would have seen that this product --a glyphosate---will kill anything green it touches.
    It is not a weed killer----just a weed killer.
    It will kill anything and everything it touches.

You must read and understand and follow exactly the directions for using this product. Dilute it too much, it wont do the job you expect of it.
    Use too much of the glyphosate and it wont kill to its best.

If you have common broadleafed weeds---then you don't want RoundUp, instead use any well-named broadleafed weed killing product that is found on every shelf in garden centers and nurseries.

Such killing takes time....results should show themselves in 2 or 3 days...depending on strength used.
    You should leave about 2 weeks to pass before doing another application which might have to be done if results do not satisfy you.
    In any case, the soil is affected because these herbicides travel through the soil and if used carelessly can affect ground water, or nearby steams.

Used properly, with care, they pose no danger of overuse and should kill the weeds that commonly sprout up on our gardens and lawns.

Once the herbicide has been used and shows results, think to do some overseeding the area. Layering down 1" or 2" of compost or topsoil over the area with the use of a good quality grass seed of your choice, should bring back the area in reasonable time.
    This should be carried out within two - three weeks after the application of the weed killer.

• gondalguru
    16 years ago

I am in south Texas and had same problem as you have. I used round up 5 months ago and it killed everything including all lawn and weeds. I was hoping that lawn will grow back but all the weeds grew back and no lawn.

2 weeks ago I used scotts bonus s and it worked like wonder. Now lots of green lawn growing and almost all the weeds are gone. I have heard that walmart brand sells similar stuff just little cheaper.

• texas_weed
    16 years ago

I am in south Texas and had same problem as you have. I used round up 5 months ago and it killed everything including all lawn and weeds

Well 5 months ago Bermuda grass was actively growing here in north TX, so I assume it was growing in south TX too. You are not suppose to spray green Bermuda with Round Up. It can only be done on completely dormant Bermuda. Doh!

• mmqb
    16 years ago

Geez, Texas really is a Hell hole. I knew Houston stayed pretty warm, but 85 to 100 in just March sucks.

• hardin
    16 years ago

If you want it to die and it is green, use RU. If some of the Bermuda is green, and you want to keep it, do not spray it using RU. Round-Up is a non-selective herbicide, which means it is not picky about what it will kill. After using RU, you can usually plant in 2 weeks. If you have bermuda grass AND weeds, to kill weeds only, use a selective herbicide such as, 2-4-D to finish killing weeds when the bermuda is green. 2-4-D usually does best when temps are above 70 degrees outside.

• bus_driver
    16 years ago

hardin has furnished the answer that I think is best. Roundup will kill all the grasses with which I am familiar. Some plants are resistant to Roundup, such as English Ivy, and some varieties of morning glory.

• hardin
    16 years ago

Another thing that RU can't kill is privet hedges. Believe me, I have tried very, very hard.

• champ763_aol_com
    12 years ago

round up got used on my grass killed the grass whate can i do to grow grass