Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grass and Weed ID. Need help!

Posted by harris_turner 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 12:55

Hi there everyone. I moved into a house about 2 years ago that had beautiful grass and I have since destroyed it. I have no idea what kind of grass it is and there are weeds all over. The picture I included has few weeds compared to other spots on the yard. I don't know how to treat it or if I should even treat it at this point. Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grass and Weed ID. Need help!

Yea, put some parmesean cheese on that Pizza, with everything on it, and eat it. Just kidding, but that is one ugly picture.

-What state (gives an idea of what type of probable grass)?
-Have you ever had a soil test?
-How committed are you (this looks like a lot of work).

This looks like total redo (as I had to do) in order to bring back anything that resembles a lawn.

o

it's pensacola florida. In the high traffic areas it's so much worse. I've been told it's zoysia and i've been told it's burmuda. No soil test. I'm just afraid that it will never come back. If I had a choice to do a renovation, I think I would go with St. Augustine just because i'm more familiar with it and I get a decent amount of shade. I know a reno is more Dependant on soil conditions, shade etc.

If it's burmuda, I would have no idea what to fertilize it with because from what I understand, your general weed and feed isn't supposed to be used on burmuda.

Help me...i'm scared!

This post was edited by harris_turner on Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 17:15

o

No doubt it's one of the summer grasses. How many square feet do you think your looking at?

If your thinking St. Augustine, I assume your willing to bring in sod, yea?

Just based on that one picture your probably looking at having to kill everything off and something to churn the dead grass and weeds into the soil, leveling, etc.

Do you have a budget in mind?

Can you post a few more pic's, maybe of some better quality?

o

The front yard is probably 2500-3000 sq ft. The thought of renovating the lawn is daunting but having it look like crap is even scarier. I only have experience with sod. I helped sod quite a few lawns when I was younger but I don't have the know how to do it by myself. I pretty much just laid the sod down.

The churning, the killing of the current grass, the leveling, the removal of debris is troubling to me. So much unknown territory. Any advice will be great. I'll try to post some more pics soon

o

here are some follow up pics.

o

another pic

o

another pic

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here