Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wood Chips on the Lawn

Posted by pacset 21286 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 12, 08 at 13:06

We just had 7 Red Oak trees cut down on our front lawn. There are a lot of wood chips on the lawn from the cutting and stump grinding. I removed most of the stump grindings but there are still a lot of wood chips on the lawn. The lawn was also murdered by the guys and their machines. I have put down some line and am going to put topsoil, grass seed and fertilizer down after I areate. My question is; will the red oak wood chips hurt the new grass and how much of it should I remove?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wood Chips on the Lawn

The chips themselves aren't going to hurt your grass at all unless they're piled deep enough to smother it in which case you can just rake them out.
You can lime if you're *sure* your soil is acidic, like readings less than 6 for most cool season grasses otherwise thats not going to do much either with regards to the chips. Where I live lime is probably the most mis-applied lawn product out there and that's saying something.

The one concern you might have is that wood chips are high in carbon and can rob the soil of N as they start to decompose. Maybe keep an eye on how quickly things green up and spray some N if you don't think your grass is coming back as quickly as it does most years. However long term the chips are going to add organic matter into the soil which is a good thing so don't freak out about them too much.

o

Have cut down 1 tree the past 3 years and always got mushrooms where the stumps were late in the summer. Last spring had a huge tree cut down and the company that removed the stump told me to apply powdered lime and granual lime before topping with new soil and seed. By August/September I still had shrooms growing at all previous tree areas but this area. Im heading out tonight to pick up both Limes to be prepared as I just had another tree taken down about a month ago. I also found to pile the soil on as it will settle a lot.

o

Mushrooms are present in soils with high carbon content and I don't see how the lime would address that and even if it did lime wouldn't have much residual benefit unless you apply an insane amount. My guess would be that the tree company did a very good job of removing the stump so that there wasn't enough carbon in the soil to host the fungi spores.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here