Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Time Lawn Owner Help

Posted by Lobster1 Essex County, NJ (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 13:20

Hello all,

I recently moved into a house with a lawn for the first time and I am trying to put together a comprehensive lawn maintenance plan. I am in Northern New Jersey and I am trying to figure out what to do and when to do it.

Specifically I want to know when to feed, fertilize, overseed, mow, deal with weeds and pests, aerate, etc. Then the follw-up is what products I need to use to do it all.

If anyone could help me with a really detailed schedule or where to find one that also helps me with the products it would be so incredibly helpful as I am really feeling lost at the moment. If it helps, I have a young child and a dog.

Thanks in advance for the help.

James

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Time Lawn Owner Help

I would suggest you get a soil test ASAP (logan labs in ohio will do it for $20 and you'll get the results in about 3 days via e-mail). It will save you chasing your tail if there are major soil problems.

Generally:
Apply a pre-emergent like Dimension to prevent weed seed (crabgrass) from germinating. This should be applied once the soil temperature gets to 55-60 degrees. A visual indicator is to watch for forsythia plants to bloom, then drop the pre-m. (if you are aerating, aerate prior to dropping a pre-m--aerate only if needed, just as you don't mow if it doesn't need it)
Spot treat weeds with WBG or similar--you can do this from late spring through fall weather and temps permitting.
Mow the lawn as needed at a height between 2 1/2-3", but mow often enough that you do not remove more than 1/3 of the blade.
Apply 1/2-1# per 1000 sq. ft of a slow release nitrogen fertilizer ( you could use a triple NPK) between the last week of May and the first week of June.
As summer heat begins to set in (end of June-beginning of July), raise the mower to 3 1/2 to 4".
Late August/early September, apply 1# of N per k of slow release N.
Early Sept (once temps drop form summer like) set mower height to 2 1/2-3"
Aerate if needed Sept-October--but early enough that the grass is still growing and repair itself.)
Overseed late august to September. Some overseed after aeration.
Early October, apply another 1# of slow release N with K (called winterizer by some).
Once the turf ceases top-growth, drop mower height to 2-2 1/2" for a final mow and apply 1# of quick release N- Usually mid Nov-early Dec. (also called winterizing).
You can substitute organic sources for any or all N apps except the final fast release N app.
Apply any other amendments during the year as recommended per soil test.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here