Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
TTF Brown spots in Northeast lawn after snow thaw!

Posted by hamden_CT CT (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 13:41

Hi everyone,
I need your help. I am a little frustrated after putting down a completely new lawn last fall and potentially having to repeat the same all over again. The seed used was a lesco tall fescue blend. It was absolutely beautiful after germination. It turned heads all through the winter. It was the perfect lawn until mother nature dropped 47" on us here in the northeast. Immediately after the thaw, I noticed the multiple spots/ patches. My heart dropped in fear that I will completely lose my lawn. I attempted to investigate the spots and noticed a few things.
1. The brown grass is not freely removed when pulled.
2. There are several dirt mounds throughout the lawn.
3. As the temps becomes more favorable, new shoots are attempting to sprout through some brown spots.
4.Around the perimeter of a large burning bush (where the lawn meets the foundation mulch/garden) there is no sign of any spots. This particular area was protected by over hang branches limiting snow accumulations.

*Last fall I also cut the last fertilizer dose in half to minimize snow mold.
Please help me get my lawn back to where it was. I have some seeds left, I can over-seed if need be.
Thank you for the anticipated assistance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: TTF Brown spots in Northeast lawn after snow thaw!

Here's a before pic

Here is a link that might be useful: Before

o

Here's a pic of mound.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mound

o

Here are examples of shoot coming through spots

Here is a link that might be useful: Shoots

o

Looks like snow mold to me. Snow mold is typically benign, as long as your crowns aren't affected. Your lawn should grow out of it in a month or so. Raking your lawn lightly to unmat the blades should help the new blades grow though the dead ones. I have some patches myself, and I'm in CT too. I'm not worried...yet.

o

Just the guy I was hoping would respond :) thanks tiemco. My plan is to cut low w/o scalping, light overseed and some fert. As soon as the forsythia begins to bloom. What do you think?
Thank you

o

If it's grey snow mold, it will recover fine. Like tiemco said, just rake and wait.

o

I would probably hold off on the overseed unless you see that you have areas of no grass. A low cut after a light raking is a good idea. I usually do my first cut lower than normal, especially if there is some rain due in the next day or two. The only fert I would use would be organic until late spring. No need to force topgrowth early in the season.

o

It may be a long shot but have you considered that it may be an animal that's causing the mess? We had a lawn that looked v similar to this about 2 years ago and were very puzzled as to what it could be - did a bit of research and discovered that it was the nitrate's in our dog's urine causing the burn. We used a product called Dog Rocks - which filters the excess nitrates from their drinking water, and have a had a lush green lawn ever since! I think you can buy it in most general pet stores. It was a lifesaver for our lawn!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here