Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palmtreeguy

Fertilized twice in 10 days. Bad for Bermuda?

palmtreeguy
12 years ago

About a week ago I went ahead and fertilized my lawn to get the Berdmuda going. I was out of town this weekend and just got back and noticed that the landscape guy went ahead and fertilized his own stuff on my lawn. Is my lawn going to suffer with too much fertilizer within a short span of time?

Comments (12)

• grasshole
    12 years ago

You're gonna suffer because you'll be mowing so much! LOL!

Grass will probably be OK.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    12 years ago

Be prepared to mow every day for a while...

• dchall_san_antonio
    12 years ago

Search the Internet for the Bermuda Bible, download it, and memorize it. It's free. It was written by a frequent poster here called texas-weed. He was a bermuda grass farmer until he retired last year.

You cannot get bermuda going by putting fertilizer on dormant grass. You likely did nothing for the grass at that point. It is much (MUCH) better to wait until the grass has been mowed for the second time in the spring before applying any fertilizer. That way you know the grass is ready to take up the nutrients.

• ZoysiaSod
    12 years ago

^ Makes sense because you wouldn't want to feed a sleeping person. A sleeping person isn't hungry. And s/he needs her sleep.

Dormant grass isn't hungry and needs beauty rest.

Morpheus (who was mentioned in another thread) applied fertilizer to his bluegrass in Pennsylvania every month, but he didn't apply any fertilizer during the dormant winter months.

• grasshole
    12 years ago

Who said it was dormant? Did I miss something?

• ZoysiaSod
    12 years ago

Yes, you missed something.

• dchall_san_antonio
    12 years ago

I made an assumption about it being dormant based on the OP's first sentence about getting his bermuda going.

And ZS, MorpheusPA used organic fertilizer. I wouldn't want someone to try that with chemical ferts every month. That would be a problem in the heat of summer.

• ZoysiaSod
    12 years ago

Oh, I agree with you DC. I don't use synthetic fertilizers at all. Organic fertilizers are much gentler.

• texas_weed
    12 years ago

Do not worry, you cannot hurt Bermuda with fertilizer. Well you can but it takes a whole lot, but two normal applications spread out over a week will not hurt it.

Morpheus (who was mentioned in another thread) applied fertilizer to his bluegrass in Pennsylvania every month, but he didn't apply any fertilizer during the dormant winter months.

What in the heck does that have to do with Bermuda? It is a warm season grass, not a cool season grass located 3000 miles away.

Yes, you missed something.

Looks like you might have missed something. The OP is in California where there grass has been green since January, and likely never went dormant.

• Billl
    12 years ago

Your bermuda is probably going to be fine. It is too much fertilizer, but bermuda is tough to kill. You might have some fertilizer burn symptoms, but the lawn will bounce back quickly even if you do. Then you'll just be mowing like crazy for a while.

What isn't going to be happy with you is anything downstream. Overfertilizing generally leads to a fair amount of it being lost to runoff.

• texas_weed
    12 years ago

Palmtree everything will be just fine. What you can do if you are really concerned is irrigate to purge the nitrogen.

Personally I would not do anything out of the normal unless I seen fertilizer burn. If you see that give it water. The grass will recover nicely. For Bermuda think of fertilizer, like a moderate sun burn. You will recover.