Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installing sod over failed seed attempt

Posted by whitehautephoto none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 14:05

We tried back at the end of November to plant eco-lawn seed in our back yard. It has grown, but VERY slowly, and very patchy. I know we could give it more time and it will eventually grow, but we have a 2-year old son who is dying to get outside and play in the yard, and our grass areas have been fenced off with chicken wire for 4 months now. We're going to put in a fescue blend sod, and I'm wondering the following: Do we HAVE to remove the grass that has already started growing?

Here's a couple pieces of info to note:
1. We tilled the entire yard very well prior to seeding, obviously the ground has settled since then
2. We don't mind if the eco-lawn ends up coming through the new sod and taking over down the road, we like that grass but we're ready for a full lawn sooner rather than later
3. The grass that has come in so far is no more than maybe a 1/2" above the soil, so it's not very established yet

Advice will be helpful!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installing sod over failed seed attempt

How about a bit of a clue as to where you live? Alaska is slightly different from Florida.

o
RE: Installing sod over failed seed attempt

If you want to make your yard level then you can remove the grass by scraping with a flat shovel under it. Since the sod has some soil to it, it's ok to removal a little. If you don't want to do all the work just throw it right over and make it as level as possible. The grass under will probably just die since it was weak to begin with. I hope this helps and you can get your son onto the lawn soon!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here