Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yudi_gw

Dogs destroyed yard -- how do I replant?

Yudi
10 years ago

First off, I am not a big lawn guy and have little experience with maintaining a lawn except for mowing it every week during the summer. Anyway, ever since we got a second dog, the fenced in backyard (about 800-1000 sq ft) has rapidly been turning into a mud pit. After the snow melted this year (I live in wintery western New York), the grass looks as though it is completely gone -- just deep paw prints left behind.

This spring, I would like to give it the old college try and plant some grass. Let's assume that I will prevent the dogs from trampling the yard again and have a designated section for them to do their duties. The backyard is also very low light surrounded by a few tall pine trees that block the sun.

Please give me some advice to get my lawn back. I've thought about tilling the whole thing, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. Essentially, I don't care what kind of grass I get, I just want it to be green(ish) and cover the majority of the small backyard. I'm hoping to get to work soon (the snow has just about melted).

Comment (1)