Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dogs destroyed yard -- how do I replant?

Posted by Yudi none (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 14:05

First off, I am not a big lawn guy and have little experience with maintaining a lawn except for mowing it every week during the summer. Anyway, ever since we got a second dog, the fenced in backyard (about 800-1000 sq ft) has rapidly been turning into a mud pit. After the snow melted this year (I live in wintery western New York), the grass looks as though it is completely gone -- just deep paw prints left behind.

This spring, I would like to give it the old college try and plant some grass. Let's assume that I will prevent the dogs from trampling the yard again and have a designated section for them to do their duties. The backyard is also very low light surrounded by a few tall pine trees that block the sun.

Please give me some advice to get my lawn back. I've thought about tilling the whole thing, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. Essentially, I don't care what kind of grass I get, I just want it to be green(ish) and cover the majority of the small backyard. I'm hoping to get to work soon (the snow has just about melted).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dogs destroyed yard -- how do I replant?

Hmmm. Would you accept brown(ish)? I'm suggesting putting down several inches of mulch until the new dog is settled in. Best mulch for this comes from tree trimmers who haul a chipper around behind their boxy trucks.

Or you could put a fescue sod down for an instant lawn.

Or you could seed fescue. Fescue is the only grass that will grow in any shade in the north. The shade is the saving grace that allows you to possibly get away with this. Crabgrass is also trying to germinate right now but it needs full sun to grow, so that shade is good for you. The best time to seed fescue is in the fall, so if this lawn does not look good in late July, get ready to fix it in late August.

Never till in preparation for a lawn. It is never a good idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here