Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grass Care

Posted by lostsoul62 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 15:07

I live in NW AR and this is my first year here. My grass is over 10 years old and the person before me never used a catcher for his lawn mower so there is a build up of dead grass. So I thought is might be a good idea to use a steel rake and rake it then mow it. Does this sound like a good idea and if so when should I do it because I don't even know when the grass turns green here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grass Care

You should not use a grass catcher. The decomposing grass pieces provide natural nitrogen to the soil.

It is more likely the grass is Kentucky bluegrass (an excellent turf) which they watered daily (a poor practice). That will result in thatch buildup which looks like what you're describing.

I would not rake it up just yet. I would get in the habit of watering deeply and infrequently, follow that through the summer, and see if you have any thatch left in the fall. Then deal with it. Watering deeply means one inch all at one time. Measure one inch by setting out empty cat food or tuna cans and time how long it takes your sprinkler to fill the cans. It could be anywhere from 20 minutes to 8 hours depending on the water pressure and type of sprinkler. Once you know how long it takes to get an inch, then water for that length of time when you water. Infrequently means once per month in the cool part of the year (now) and moving to once per week in the heat of summer.

For grass always use a dry type fertilizer. I like organic all the time, but even if you insist on using chemical, I would urge you to use one application per year of organic. You can do that any time of year even if you just used the chemical fert.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here