Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
St Augustine Sodding...How Long Should it Take to See Growth?

Posted by monicakm NE Texas (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 15:44

We live in NE Texas about 65 miles east of Dallas. We sodded 900 sq ft on a Friday and Sat and late Sunday/Monday had a hard freeze with sleet. The new grass was watered thoroughly with a automatic sprinkler system. That was three weeks ago. The sod still hasn't started attaching to the soil. The area was prepped by tilling, removing all the old grass and weeds, top soil dumped on it, leveled and graded to slightly slope away from the house. There has been ample rain and watering from us. Soil underneath the grass is wet but the few squares I've picked up show no signs of starting to attach to the earth. Called the place where we bought the grass. He said in about 3 weeks we should see small white "hairs" (roots) starting to attach to the earth...I'm not seeing that. He said to give it a couple more weeks due to the freeze but if I kept it wet, it should be fine. Do you guys agree? This is the first time we've done this so I'm really freaking out! TIA for anything you might be able to help with.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: St Augustine Sodding...How Long Should it Take to See Growth?

Don't think you have anything to worry about, if the grass is dormant it's just going to sit there until temps warm up and it starts to grow. To ease your mind though you could cut a small piece of sod and bring it inside set it next to a warm sunny window and keep the sod moist. You should see some root growth and leaves green up in a few days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here