Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
md_mike

Bermuda vs. crabgrass!

Md_mike
12 years ago

I seeded my yard last year, and had generally good results. However I had several large areas where the crabgrass was so dense that the bermuda seed never had a chance. This picture shows some of the browned out crabgrass along the bulkhead last November while the bermuda was still sort of green. The larger area extends about 12 feet into the yard. This area is larger than the picture looks!. Now these crabgrass areas are all dead and/or bare with possibly some very small patches of bermuda.

{{gwi:83191}}

I recently put down Dimension to stop the crabgrass this spring, but how do I get new bermuda growth in these areas? Seeding in June like I did last year will be the same time I need to put down pre-m again or back comes the crabgrass! Will the existing grass fill in these large bare areas this summer if I keep the pre-m barrier down? I am new to bermuda and hear that it spreads like crazy, but these are some quite large areas to fill in. There are other areas in my yard that are similar to this picture.

Any words of wisdom or better ideas would be appreciated.

Comments (5)