Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pre-emergent - before or after mowing when coming out of dormancy

Posted by twolabs NE Texas (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 6, 14 at 16:07

Hello all!

I have tifway bermuda and I think I might be a little late applying my pre-emergent. I have a few grassy weeds popping up here and there and the bradford pears are starting to bloom in my area. I looked up the soil temp for my area and it says between 55-60.

My question is, I noticed that digging down through the grass (I left it long to help protect it over the winter), the bermuda is starting to come out of dormancy. I know according to the bermuda bible, that I should scalp the yard at this time and discard the clippings. However, it also says to apply the pre-emergent before I mow for the first time.

So my questions are:

1) Do I go ahead and apply the pre-emergent?
2) If so, how long should I wait before the initial mow?

If the answer is now, I guess I should go ahead and mow as soon as possible and then apply?

Thanks for all the help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pre-emergent - before or after mowing when coming out of dorm

I'm not sure why the Bermuda Bible suggests mowing afterwards. Generally the time to apply is when the forsythia start to bloom. That is assuming you have that plant. We don't seem to this far south, but I'm pretty sure y'all do up there.

You might be seeing weeds which sprouted in the fall and remained dormant all winter. Many wildflowers, including Bluebonnet, are like that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here