Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mitchrapp_gw

New Tall Fescue sod turning yellow

mitchrapp
11 years ago

I had new tall fescue sod installed in Sept 2012 and over the last several months it has started to yellow. I thought maybe it was just because it was winter, but I've been told tall fescue is supposed to stay green year round. I'm in the Washington, DC area. Does anyone know what is going on here and how I can fix it?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:83295}}

Comments (5)

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

Since you say it was installed, does that mean they put down sod? Is there any chance that whatever they put down had a mix of Kentucky bluegrass?

How have you watered it over the winter? How often and how long each time?

Have you fertilized it or used any chemicals?

• mitchrapp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Might be possible to have a mix. I was only told it was fescue sod. Have not added any chemicals or fertilizer. Did not really water during the winter.

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

If they said fescue then it probably did not include any KBG. They would have said was a mix or a shade/sun blend. It could be this brown color is a result of not getting enough fertilizer in the fall.

I am an organic kind of guy and will tell you to apply 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet of alfalfa pellets (rabbit chow). Why that and not chemicals? Because it is too early for chemicals and not too early for organics. Organic are very forgiving while chemicals are not. If you goof up an organic app, no problems. If you goof up a chemical app, you could spend a lot of money restoring it. And if you like the results of the organic fert, you can always add more. If you like the results of the chemical app, you have to wait until fall to add more.

Also set your mower to the highest setting (or one notch down from the top). Tall grass resists weeds much better than short grass. Tall grass also needs less water than short grass.

Water deeply and infrequently. Deeply means a full inch all at one time. Infrequently means monthly in the cool months transitioning to once every 7 days in the hottest heat of summer. If you get hotter than the hottest heat, then slide it up to every 5 days, but in no case should you ever be watering daily or every other day. The idea is to allow the soil surface to dry completely while there is a deeper reservoir of moisture for the roots to draw from.

• tiemco
    11 years ago

Unless your sod was netted, it probably did have some KBG in it since TF isn't a sod former, and you can't cut nice rolls of turf of unnetted TF sod. Here are a few possible explainations for your lawn's color. When you cut sod, you cut the roots, it's a big stress, and the process of regrowing roots is a big drain on grass' resources and it can go dormant in the cooler weather. I see you have a few areas of green grass, and I suspect your green up will be delayed. Another thing that can be a factor is if your soil is very different from the sod farm. If it is very different, or very poor, the sod can take a while to take or adjust to the new soil. I have even heard cases where you can lose areas of sod if the soil is very poor. Have you ever done a soil test? If not, it might not be a bad idea to get one. Also if you have KBG in your sod, depending on the cultivar, it can go brown in the winter, masking the TF which is faster to green up in the spring.

• auteck
    11 years ago

100% normal if you didn't fertilize your sod in the Fall while the grass was still actively growing.

Put some fertilizer down (no organics, soil is too cold for that right now) this weekend and water it, with warm temperatures, it will green up nicely over the next few weeks. You can use some 21-0-0 which is the most active fertilizer during cool/cold weather/soil for a rapid green up and color for up to 5 weeks or so.

Your Fescue sod is most likely mixed with Kentucky Bluegrass, a common practice in the transition zone. Nearly all the Fescue sod sold around here (Raleigh, NC) have Bluegrass mixed in.

I concur with Tiemco about getting a soil sample.