Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keloggs

lawn aeration by drill press ?

kelogs
10 years ago

Hi,

I have recently aerated a small area of my lawn 55 m2 (So, today, while drilling holes in some timber, this idea of using the same electrical drill for aerating the lawn has popped up. Together with a low feet-powered 4-wheeler, like some foot operated carting vehicle, i think it could work a treat. Hmm.. but then I'd have to put the money saved from the aerator in that vehicle.

Anyway, all i can thinkof is that the drill press might damage grass roots a bit more.

Uhm, thoughts ?

Comments (5)

• kelogs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"Edit Post" seems not functional.
    ------------------------------------------

Hi,

I have recently aerated a small area of my lawn 55 m2 (So, today, while drilling holes in some timber, this idea of using the same electrical drill for aerating the lawn has popped up. Together with a low ground clearance foot powered 4-wheeler, like some foot operated carting vehicle (so bending too heavily while aerating the whole lawn is avoided), i think it could work a treat. Hmm.. but then I'd have to put the money saved from the aerator in that vehicle.

Anyway, all i can think of is that the drill press might damage grass roots a bit more.

Uhm, thoughts ?

• neilaz
    10 years ago

Try this approach before using the drill. Not that the drill will damage the roots but this seems so much easier. Copied from dchall_san_antonio:
    Spray the soil with 3 ounces of baby shampoo per 1,000 square feet. If you have 2,000 square feet of lawn , put 6 ounces of baby shampoo into a hose end sprayer, fill the sprayer bottle with water, and spray at any setting. Spray as evenly as you can to get full coverage. Then water the lawn with a full inch of water to get the soap down into the soil. The next week repeat the water without the soap. The week after that repeat the soap and water. That's all. If that opens up the soil then it wasn't very hard.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

I agree with neilaz (duh, since he reposted something I wrote).

Most people aerate because they think their soil is compacted. There is a difference between compacted and hard soil. Soil becomes compacted when the air is driven out of the soil mechanically as when making bricks or adobe. Hard soil is caused by a elimination of beneficial fungi which normally keep the soil loose. There can be a number of reasons for that, but the approach quoted by neilaz is a serious cure. Commercial surfactants cost $70 per gallon. It turns out the main ingredient is the same as the main ingredient in most shampoos. Since you only need $0.30 worth of baby shampoo, just use that. Do not use dish soap. It is different. Use only clear shampoo.

• kelogs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

wow, baby shampoo ? Neat!

However, that sounds way too complicated not to mention lengthy procedure. Thanks anyway!

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

Putting shampoo in a sprayer and turning on the hose is too complicated? In that case try the drill approach and please let us know how it works for you.