Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is sand soil good for grass?

Posted by Marylin02 none (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 12 at 16:30

Previous owner left a sand pit in the yard. He had an above ground pool on top of it. I don't want to install a pool and want to plant grass to cover the sand. If I buy top soil, I will break my back. Does anyone know the best and easiest way to do that? Thanks for sharing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is sand soil good for grass?

The short answer, for home lawns, no, growing grass on sand is not recommended. Sand doesn't hold water, or nutrients very well, and grass there will require plenty of attention throughout the summer. Some grasses do better in sandy soil, but %100 percent sand will be more trouble than it's worth. How deep is this sand layer? Where do you live?

o

My experience is different. It is probably different because my original soil is pure limestone. In fact the old quarry it three streets over. In my yard, the sandy fill I used supports the greenest grass. It is 8 inches deep at the left edge and feathers out to nothing in the middle of the yard. Grass is greener with any sand.

o

>"If I buy top soil, I will break my back"

Buying a couple bags of top soil at Home Depot will not suffice. You'll need a truck load delivered and can hire the job to be done for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here