Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jonnyrock_gw

Help with Soggy Lawn!

JonnyRock
10 years ago

It's the first nice weekend here in the PNW and I'm trying to get on top of my lawn. It's in pretty rough shape. Very soggy and mossy.

I've purchased a bag of moss treatment, but I was thinking I should dethatch first and then aerate, and then use the moss stuff. Only problem is the lawn is currently still a bit soggy, so I'm not sure I should dethatch it yet.

Can you take a look at this album and give me your thoughts?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Soggy Lawn Album

Comments (5)

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Have you started watering yet or is the wetness just the result of winter rain? When you water, how long and how often do you do it?

When were the last two times you fertilized and what did you use?

Do you have a routine for fertilizing, herbicide, and/or insecticide? If so what products do you use?

• JonnyRock
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The soggyness is simply from winter/spring rain. Although the lawn stays soggy for days after rain.

I've been in the house for less than a year, so I don't yet have a set yard schedule. Last summer I was setting my watering system to run for 10 min or so every other morning. I did a round of weed and feed (Scott's) using a drop feeder late summer last year. Haven't used any herbicide or insecticide.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

You're watering too frequently and not deeply enough. Once you get it right, the "moss" should go away...unless it is really something else.

Mature lawns should be watered deeply and infrequently. Deeply means one full inch all at one time. Infrequently means no more than once per week in the hottest heat of summer (above 90 degrees F). If you never get that warm, then you should be able to water once every 2 or 3 weeks. This will allow the surface of the soil to dry out completely before you water again. It will also encourage deep roots which can withstand periods of no water.

You cannot go cold turkey into this. Start weaning now and by summer you should have it. Measure one inch using empty cat food or tuna cans placed around the yard. Time how long it takes to fill them up and use that time every time you water. If you get an inch of rain, then don't pile up more on top of that. If you get 1/4 inch of rain, then add the other 3/4. Watch the grass for signs of wilting. As soon as you see it wilt, water immediately. If you did not get a full 2 to 3 weeks, then water longer next time.

Are you interested in fertilizing organically? Most people in the PNW at least have an interest in it.

I've never lived in the PNW so you might want to have that weed identified. You are calling it moss, but it's a weed. If the weed n feed didn't take it out, you might want to figure out what it is and use an appropriate method/chemical.

• JonnyRock
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your knowledge! I'll definitely adjust my watering procedure.

I did end up using a moss-out product on the lawn and it definitely had an impact, browning/killing some of the moss/filler. When we moved in last spring I don't recall this weed being so prevalent. I'm thinking of trying a round of weed & feed to see its effect.

In addition to identifying the grass and the weedy "moss"-like filler, do have any other advice regarding steps I should take? Should I try detatching/aerating/shampooing? I've read a number of soggy lawn posts where you recommend the shampoo method.

Again, thanks!

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Since it is soggy from rain, there's not much you can do. Does the soil have a low area or it is pretty much level or crowned?

The effect of weed-n-feed is to lighten your wallet. Rather than weed-n-feed, try fertilizing with a real, dedicated fertilizer after the spring flush of fast growth is over. Then, 2 weeks later, spot spray the weeds with Weed-B-Gone. Healthy weeds seem to die better than unfed weeds.