Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Killed my bermuda, what now?

Posted by JoeFriedeggs TX (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 24, 12 at 17:19

I've been fighting a losing battle with poa annua for years (with very no help from several neighbors), and it finally won. On some bad advice from an 'expert', I used round-up to kill the poa on what I thought was a dormant bermuda lawn in early February in the Dallas area. I guess maybe due to the 'la nina' year (or maybe global warming :-) ), the bermuda was apparently not dormant.

Bottom line: My lawn now looks like a zebra. I have lots of large dead areas. What can be done? Overseed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Killed my bermuda, what now?

My experience has been that generally our Bermuda does not really go dormant. It looks like it is..but it really is not. You may want to wait a bit to see if any more of the Bermuda comes back. And whatever does not you will probably need to dig up and resod if that is economically feasible.

I'm no "expert" but I have been controlling poa annua using pre-emergent (Lesco at Home Depot) Sept 15th and March 15 with a spraying of Image in late February and then again a few weeks later. Haven't gotten rid of all of it but don't have much of it at all anymore.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

o

I've always thought there were two things you could not kill, bermuda grass and cock roaches. Roundup does not contaminate the soil so you can over seed.

o

http://www.amdro.com/Image/Nutsedge/index.html

Try that next time. If you have bermuda that is still alive, fertilize every month and you'd have a nice lawn in no time.

o

Thanks lou and oktobersky for the advice on Image. The irony is, I've been avoiding that product since 1999 when I killed the lawn on my previous house with it trying to control poa :). That lawn was about 70% poa when I moved in. Recently, I've had several people suggest using it, though. Maybe the product or the application instructions have changed since then. I do know now there are now several varieties of Image. Back in '99, I think there was only one.

texasredhead, you think maybe Round-up might work on cockroaches, also? :-) (it does kill bermuda)

o

I was told by a master gardener to use the Image mid Feb and then again a few weeks later according label and it has worked fine and not hurt my lawn at all. It may make it green up a little later though and you do not want to spray it when your Bermuda is already green.

LOL on the Roundup and roaches!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here