Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandonb_gw

Please help with grass choice for lawn in Dallas, TX

brandonb
12 years ago

Hi all-

We moved into our house last year and our lawn looks pretty bad. It's a big mix of weeds, crab grass, and grass (not exactly sure what type). Anyway, I just applied a weed killer (Ortho - the kind that kills St Augustine) and am planning to seed the first of April. I'm having a difficult time deciding what type of grass to plant.

I don't want an award winning lawn. Just something that looks decent, can handle dog/kid traffic, and requires little maintenance (e.g., water, mowing, fertilizing, etc.) I don't want to spend the money on sod, so it's down to seeding. Bermuda was my initial thought as it does well in the heat and I'm not too concerned about flowerbeds, but I only want to mow every 1-2 weeks. It doesn't look like that would work with bermuda. Centipede also looks like a possibility, but I've read that takes months to years to actually grow.

What's my best option? Would bermuda stand a chance if it was only mowed every 2 weeks? What other grasses do well down here in north Texas?

Thanks!

Comments (19)

• tiemco
    12 years ago

Bermuda is out since you don't want to mow more than once a week, and most of the best ones are sodded varieties. Bermuda not mowed often becomes thin and unattractive. It also requires monthly fertilizer. Centipede is probably out as well. Centipede likes acidic soil, and I believe central Texas' soil is typically alkaline. Plus it does take a while to establish, and needs to be cut low like Bermuda, so that's out. St. Augustine is probably your best option but it is almost always sodded or sprigged as a seeded variety is very new, not very good, and not readily available. So what does that leave? Zoysia, seashore paspalum and hybrid bluegrass. Seashore paspalum is probably out since it requires low mowing. That leave Zoysia and hybrid bluegrass. Both can get by with weekly mowings, both do well in heat, zoysia being a warm season grass handles it better. Zoysia will turn tan in winter, while HB will probably remain green. Hybrid bluegrass would probably do better if you planted it in the fall, Zoysia needs to be planted in late spring. Both need to be watered in times of drought, and both need some degree of care, as all lawns do.

• texas_weed
    12 years ago

Well you are in between a rock and hard place, because you have just eliminated every viable option available to you.

You have basically three choices in TX.

Bermuda in both seed and sod.

Saint Augustine is only available as sod.

Zoysia. There is one or two varieties available as seed but germination rates are poor, and they are not very desirable cultivars, and require extreme TLC to get established.

• brandonb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the response. I thought Dallas was too far south for bluegrass. I didn't think it was an option.

Also, what about Bahia grass? Just found it online and it seems to have many of the characteristics I'm looking for.

And if it matters, my yard is mostly sunny with some shade. We've got 3 trees in the front, but they're not enormous and let some sun through.

Thanks again!

• tiemco
    12 years ago

"Thanks for the response. I thought Dallas was too far south for bluegrass."

Kentucky bluegrass yes, Hybrid bluegrass (Kentucky X Texas bluegrass) no. Do a little research online. Bandera and Reveille are two popular cultivars of hybrid bluegrass.

• brandonb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great, I'll check into those.

What are your thoughts about Argentine Bahia grass?

Thanks!

• brandonb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've found information about Bandera and Reveille, but no place to purchase it online. Do you happen to know of any places? Thanks!

• tiemco
    12 years ago

You have to poke around the internet. Pawnee Buttes carries some varieties, and I think Newsom Seed does as well. Stay away from Solar Green as I have seen studies showing it isn't very drought tolerant. Reveille seems to be one of the better ones in terms of drought.

• texas_weed
    12 years ago

You are going to be real sorry if you go with Texas Blue Grass come June/July. It can only be planted in the Fall and is restricted to the Pan Handle region of the state.

Drive around DFW and try to spot a lawn with it. There is a very good reason you cannot find a lawn or the seed in DFW.

• dchall_san_antonio
    12 years ago

St Augustine is the only grass that comes any comfortable distance to your dream grass. Too bad you killed it before asking for help.

Seeding the first of April? Only a northern grass like fescue or KBG would germinate in cool soil. Bermuda can only be seeded in hot soil. June is a good time for bermuda.

The other grasses you are asking about all have issues with Texas soil or climate. As you drive around there are only two lawns - bermuda and St Augustine. Don't fight Mother Nature. Pick one of the ones that works in your region and make it work.

St Augustine has the added feather that you don't need to mow it at all if you (and your spouse and neighbors) can stand really tall grass. I'm running that experiment right now. Some of mine is knee high. My dog gets her exercise plowing through it.

• texas_weed
    12 years ago

Dave do you have a cat or two to control rodents? I agree SA should be kept at 3 to 5 inches, but even that height can lead to rodent problems. Snakes dig it too.

• jako
    9 years ago

There are very good reasons to consult and buy local when it pertains to your lawn, trees, and other plants. From years of experience (No, I am not a dealer) I can attest that it is possible to grow many non-native plants with much extra care and expense. I have grown and enjoyed the beauty of many blooming plants that were simply not meant to be enjoyed in Dallas, TX but the cost in time, water, and other nutrients is enormous.
    Dumping the St. Augustine was probably a good idea when you compare the amount of water needed to maintain it compared to Bermuda.

• Carolyn Kalchthaler
    9 years ago

I live in Plano Texas. I had Bermuda and St Augustine grass in my backyard . WIth ice storms lost year I lost most of my St.Augustine in my shaded areas. My bermuda is non-existent with rains and 3 huge dogs plogging thru it (2 GSD and 1 labrador) The backyard would be good for rice paddies!

i clean 108 paws in a typical day and to say this is getting old is a huge understatement. LOL

I need a solution i talked to some local lawn guys and asked if I can sod with Bermuda now in March

Is it too early? Hindsight i should have done perennial rye in the fall. I have even looked at artificial turf but not practical with theses dogs. One GSD is 13 years old and is spite living so that 18 mth old does not take the Alpha position! Need solution quickly! Help needed in Plano Texas!

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

We're not the dogs forum. Is GSD some shorthand for a Great Dane or something?

Got some bad news for you. Big dogs, grass, and shade are not a good combination. There's no grass that can keep up with the damage that multiple active dogs can do. Add shade to that and you're really making things worse. What I would suggest is finding a tree trimming outfit that hauls a chipper shredder around behind a box shaped truck. Typically they feed limbs into the shredder and it blows the chips into the truck. Those chunks in the truck make a perfect mulch for dogs. If you put down 3-6 inches of that stuff, everything will be good. It usually comes free for the asking, but you'll have to wheel barrow it into position from your driveway or whever they can dump it. Those wood chips are also excellent for the soil. After 3 months with the wood chip mulch you will have the healthiest soil possible.

• apundt
    9 years ago

GSD is a German Shepherd Dog.
    I sodded a pallet of Celebration Bermuda Feb 13th. It is just now starting to show tiny roots from the sod. The soil temperature hasn;t gotten warm enough for it to kick in. I live on 1.8 acres so the two dogs I have plenty of space for them to roam and not trample the front yard to death. If I was on a city lot I would probably go with the mulch idea to keep the mud down.

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

You should be in good shape with that size apundt.

• Carolyn Kalchthaler
    9 years ago

they are great mulch spreaders so probably wont work.....can't blame the dogs at 100%. it is the constant rain and ice combo that killed it. Roots are gone. I will try the celebration.thanks so much but thinking rye in the fall for sure to hold the grass roots. Yeah typical suburban lot..

• Carolyn Kalchthaler
    9 years ago

so sorry reading bottom up so add mulch to existing ground to protect what I have left.

Does it absorb into the soil or do I remove eventually. How small is the mulch. One dog is 13

one 6 it is probably the pup at 18 mths but did flagstone where he likes to run.

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

Older dogs are not much of a problem. The puppy will only be a puppy for a couple years. He'll have his favorite tracks and that's about it.

The mulch stays on top. The pieces are larger than traditional garden mulch you buy in bags. It really is perfect for the dogs. If they dig in it, you can kick it back to fill with your feet. That's why 3 inches minimum. Eventually it will all decompose and disappear into the soil.

Give the celebration a try. If that doesn't work then keep the mulch idea in the back of your mind.

• Carolyn Kalchthaler
    9 years ago

ok I have tree trimmers tomorrow and will ask... Yeah the pup has his track so I put flag stone there. So Celebration would be better if I waited 2 weeks for warmer temps. So how large are the mulch sizes approximately? Trying to picture it. thanks soooooooooooooo much!