Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyofwhartford

buying topsoil and type of grass seed to buy

amyofwhartford
16 years ago

our backyard is the lumpiest uneven mess ever seen-- we want to have some topsoil delivered and will even out the valleys and then will replant the seed.

I don't even know where to begin to buy reasonable topsoil in CT- any recommendations? And I don't know how much to buy- what is a cubic yard???

And what kind of grass seed-- we have a dog so I don't really care about the overall luxury features of the grass- just want something very very tough. He digs wherever he sees brown, doesn't dig where there is nice turf.

thanks

Comments (5)

• Billl
    16 years ago

A cubic yard is equivalent to a 3 ft wide by 3ft deep by 3 foot tall "cube" of dirt. If you spread that much dirt over 27 sq ft, it would cover about 1 ft deep. If you spread it over 1,000 sq ft, it would cover about 1/3 inch deep. To estimate the amount you will need, you have to measure your low spots and determine how deep they are. Multiply length x width X depth in feet and divide by 27 to get the number of cubic yards. If you are totally confused, you might ask the business you are buying the soil from for a little help.

For grass seed, the generic "contractor mix" for your area would be a blend of fescue, KBG and Rye. You'll find it at any box store labeled something along the line of "sun and shade mix." Contractors use it because it gets up and growing fairly quickly and can grow in a range of environments.

• gryd
    16 years ago

I'm in CT and I easily find topsoil. Last summer I purchased some good stuff from an enviroinmental construction company in Trumbull. I've used Grillo out of Milford in the past as well. I would check your local paper or call around the local nursery's.

• jimtnc
    16 years ago

Checking local nursery's and the like is probably a good idea. Word of mouth can often keep you from getting a bad deal.

I had no idea what was good soil from the other, and I learned fast after I had over 150 cu.yds. brought in over 5-6 years or leveling my lawn area brought in by different sources. The price was about the same each load (around $160/10-14yds), but the quality was mixed. A lot of times these guys will mix a good bit of sand with the top soil to extend it further, which is not the good top soil you're supposed to be paying for, so be sure you get a reputable supplier. Also be aware that you will probably be getting a lot of different weed seeds with the soil, but that can't be helped.

• dmoore66_gardener
    16 years ago

I have been using Scott's premium sunny and shade, mostly varities of kentucky blue. Very slow results!
    Could I overseed with contractor's mix and still retain the same color as my lawn, or would I get different shades of green?

• colonel428
    16 years ago

Amy....Go to Lebsea.com & contact them about grass seed. They'll get you in touch with someone in your area who carries their products. I would think in the area where you live the Winning colors TTTF(Turf Type Tall Fescue) would do very well. And no, I am not in any way at all affiliated with this company. I'm just a homeowner down here in Charlotte, NC who bought a home a few years ago with a ratty ass yard. I did a bunch of research & many of the pro landscapers & golf courses thru here use the Lebanon Seabord (Lebsea) products. I've redone my lawn with their seed & have had good results. Good luck.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm