Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodridgemanor

Help Identifying Type of Grass (Pic attached)

woodridgemanor
14 years ago

New Home, and New Lawn...can't quite put my finger on it, looking for an expert (or someone with alot of knowledge) to help 100% identify...it's not out of dormancy yet, so trying to play my attack on filling in bare spots in the back and getting a good start to spring!

{{gwi:83741}}

{{gwi:83742}}

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Comments (13)

• garycinchicago
    14 years ago

>"New Home"

First for us, where's the new home located?
    FYI - Putting your city and state in with your zone, on your profile page does the trick.

It's hard from a picture ... very hard, without holding the whole root, crown and blade in our hand here.

I'd read this first.
    http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/tool/instructions/instructions.htm

Afterward, go to this page http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/tool/index.html ... and click the 3rd java based button "turfgrass Identification"

Here's some keys that I see, and it isn't good, sorry.

10 O'clock, on your picture. Light green, crinkled, boat shaped bade.

3 O'clock, Dark blue/green blade with a center rib in the middle. Probably has a real thick stem too.

5 O'clock all the way in the lower right corner, the big fatty.

You pull those out as lows to the surface as you can, trying to get roots too and then you will be able to work with those two URL's above.

PS, your mower's blade needs to be sharpened.

• woodridgemanor
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the resources...and I apologize I am in Northern New Jersey...I checked the link, and after looking, I belive it's Tall Fescue, but would love a second opinion...and yes, getting my old school reel mower sharpened tomorrow...

My brother says fescue too, but guy from seedland says KBG...

{{gwi:83743}}

• bpgreen
    14 years ago

I think the reason you've got some people saying tall fescue and others saying KBG is that you've got a mix. At least that's the way it looks to me (and from some of Gary's comments, I think that's what he thinks, also). The grass with the finer boat-shaped blades looks like KBG. The thicker blades look like tall fescue.

• auteck
    14 years ago

The grass on the second picture is 100% KBG, the first picture looks like a mix of Tall Fescue/Bluegrass. The yellow grass looks like Fescue, however, winter desiccation most likely.

Give it some Fertilizer and it will green right up.

I'm down in Raleigh, NC, most lawns here are just like yours.

• woodridgemanor
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank you, thank you, thank you to garycinchicago, bpgreen and auteck...

as I said, i moved in early last fall, and didn't have much time to do anything to it...and wasn't on the list of priorities...it seems like as soon as we moved in, I was getting a sprinkler guy out to blow out the system...

I'm going to hit it with some lime, then fertilize, and then when warms up...overseed with some KBG and Tall Fescue!! Can't wait!!

• dchall_san_antonio
    14 years ago

How are you planning to care for it? water, mowing, fertilizing?

• woodridgemanor
    Original Author
    14 years ago

well my plans are in this order:

1. Apply Lime
    2. Get Reel Mower Blades Sharpened.
    3. Got an email out to Tom at Rose Agri-Seed, pursuing the Summer Lawn Plus mix for overseeding.
    4. Put down a good fertilizer
    5. When weather warms up, get that seed in the ground.
    6. Post pics to lawncare forum!
    7. Get praise of fellow lawncare forum members? lol

• auteck
    14 years ago

Don't overseed in the Spring, it produces poor results for the most part. And why would you want to overseed anyway?

Once your lawn starts growing again, it is going to spread and fill in thin spots on its own.

• dchall_san_antonio
    14 years ago

If you do nothing but water (deeply and infrequently) and mow (mulch mow at least 3 inches) until Memorial Day and post pictures, I'm nearly certain you'll have our praise. The previous owners obviously took great care of the lawn. They must have hung out in the forums ;-)

I would not apply lime unless/until I knew how much to apply. Have you had the soil tested?

Spring is definitely not the time to overseed. You would have to scalp the lawn down to nothing and that would clear the path for a very weedy summer. I'm with auteck, why seed at all?

Can you reel mower go to 3 inches high? Most homeowner reel mowers work best on very low lawns, but I've seen industrial gang mowers work at 2 inches on fairways. The reason to mow high is to keep the sunlight off of the soil. Weeds will fill in if there is any bare soil, but your grass looks very dense.

• mudman72785
    14 years ago

Like said above your yard does look thick, just give it time to come back from the winter. Remember even though it has been warm and doesn't seem like it, it is still march.

• woodridgemanor
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay lawnforum collegues...I'm coming clean...I'm only planning on overseeding in the backyard, I only posted pics of front yard and backyard picture was not attached...I was embarrassed, and it will never happen again (laugh).

There are some patches that have moss that has taken off, and I need to rake up and handle the ph balance, thus adding the lime...

So in the interest of clearing my conscious and coming clean...here is overall pic of backyard, and my "problem areas"...I humbly ask for your forgiveness...lol

{{gwi:83515}}

{{gwi:83516}}

{{gwi:83518}}

• bpgreen
    14 years ago

I think I'd still wait until fall to overseed. If you water when needed (and only when needed, but water deeply when you do) and give it fertilizer once a little later in the spring, if you've got enough KBG, it will spread to fill in a lot of the bare spots. This fall, you can figure out how much is still bare and based on that whether you need to overseed. If you seed in the spring, you may end up losing a lot of the new grass in the heat of the summer, but it will slow the spread of the mature KBG. Seeding in the fall is more likely to be successful

• mlshuford
    9 years ago

Can anyone confirm what this is? It's either KBG or Zenith Zoysia.